Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I am trying to help a person to get their wireless working on an Alienware M17. I have the same laptop but with the intel 5300 wireless. I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Realtek rtl8187se 64 bit driver needed

Hello,

I am trying to help a person to get their wireless working on an Alienware M17. I have the same laptop but with the intel 5300 wireless. I have mine working but can't seem to find a 64 bit driver for the rtl8187se for them.

First question they have is can a 32 bit driver be made to work in a 64 bit Ubuntu platform? (They have AMD 64 processor and loaded the 64 bit Ubuntu.)

I have found for them a 32 bit driver. Is there a program that can convert it to 64 bit?

I think it would be easier to just reload the Ubuntu 32 bit version and load the 32 bit driver but I wanted to check and see if you guys have any recommendations.

Thanks for your help
    Alienware M17
    Dual ATI 3870 512Mb ram each
    intel 5300 wireless
    Ubuntu 8.04

Linux Guru
    I don't know if there is a Linux driver for this wireless. According to the rtl8187 page here, this driver won't work with the rtl8187se.

You could use NDISwrapper and the WinXP 64 bit driver. You can find that here:
    Realtek

I checked it out, and there is a 64-bit WinXP driver in it.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.