Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hey everyone, im not sure if im supposed to be here or not. Ive scowered the internet all over looking for some help but it seems that all i can ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Setting up xubuntu 7.1 on ps3 wireless help

Hey everyone, im not sure if im supposed to be here or not. Ive scowered the internet all over looking for some help but it seems that all i can find is stuff on YDL. I entered the command lspci -nn to find my wireless card but i get nothing. Most other commands work coming from the top sticky in this forum except this one could someone help me out? Im used to osx not windows and ive used some terminal but totally new to linux.

pls help!

thanks!

Linux Guru
    First, if you could use a newer version of Xubuntu, it would make things easier. Xubuntu 810 is the current release.

As for the lspci command, when you say you get nothing, what do you mean? It gives you a blank? Try it without the -nn, or use -v instead.

We do need the outputs of the commands outlined in the sticky. We can't offer much help if we don't know what you have.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    When i enter lspci -nn and press enter it is just like i typed nothing and pressed enter it goes down to a new line and waits for a command. i did go through the tutorial and get other information. I dont know if it is right?

But like i said before the first step getting that lspci command to work does nothing and skips down to a new line.
    Attached Files Attached Files

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Code:
    whereis lspci
    You might get results like these.
    Code:
    tbob@Icehouse ~ $ whereis lspci
    lspci: /usr/sbin/lspci /usr/share/man/man8/lspci.8.bz2
    So now you see where lspci is located then change the command to fit your needs.
    Code:
    /usr/sbin/lspci
    ERRR, you might need to preface that with sudo.
    the "/usr/share/man/man8/lspci.8.bz2" is just the man page for lspci.
    EDIT: Try the lshw command also, it's a bit more in-depth and the results could be large.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    i dont think i follow... the whereis lspci did give me actually the identical string that you had.

edit*

i entered the string $ sudo /usr/share/man/man8/lspci.8.gz with -nn, -n, -v and it gave me Usage: lspci [<switches>] then a definition of each command -v, -n, -nn, -b, etc...
    Last edited by Silver_EM; 02-09-2009 at 02:35 AM. Reason: imaretard..

Just Joined!
    sometimes it also just tells me the command is invalid.

Linux Guru
    I did a little research, and found some info that says it uses the Gelic Network Driver. I looked for it in my kernel, but it isn't there. That may be because I have a i386 kernel, and the PS3 uses a PPC kernel.

I see a lot of kernel patches when I Google for it. The driver would be called gelic_wireless. Here's a link to info on the patch:
    git.kernel.org - linux/kernel/git/geoff/ps3-linux-patches.git/commit
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    so how do i end up getting this on to the system? like i said im 100% new to linux..

ERRRR, download it man!
    Do you have access to an Internet Capable windows machine and a USB drive? uhh, does the ps3 even have a usb drive?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    sorry to sound like a huge noob... but where?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast