Find the answer to your Linux question:
Howdy folks, I recently installed Mandriva on my Dell Latitude D630 and I am LOVING IT! However, I am having some problems connecting to my school's network. I go to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Accessing Wireless at University

Howdy folks,

I recently installed Mandriva on my Dell Latitude D630 and I am LOVING IT! However, I am having some problems connecting to my school's network. I go to Villanova University. I've tried every network combination under the sun (twiddling with every option I could) and trying to match the guide that my school puts up for connecting PCs to their network. I have to provide a user name and password to sign in.

Here is the link my school provides to set up a PC
    Wireless Configuration

Here is the link my school provides to set up a Mac
    Configuring Wireless for Macs

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
    ps I used the ndiswrapper to tell linux to use my Dell driver. I know it is correctly configured because I can see the wireless network I am attempting to connect to.

Linux Guru
    I'm not sure what type of application that Mandriva has for network connections. If it has NetworkManager, and the nm-applet tray applet, then that is a good way to connect. You would click on the nm-applet in the system tray (taskbar), and select "Create New Wireless Network". I would then try to use the WinXP instructions for the connection settings.

If you want to try a different network connection manager, then I recommend Wicd. You need to disable NetworkManager (if enabled) to use it.

wicd - home

Edit: It is possible that your wireless driver is not completely installed and configured. Can you connect to any other wireless networks? If not, then that may be your problem. You should then read through the sticky linked to below, and post the info needed to help you.

Wireless Setup - Start Here
    Last edited by waterhead; 02-12-2009 at 11:52 AM.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.