Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
But can wcid-1.5.x could be installed on FC4? They are for FC9 or above. I installed but doesn't seem to work....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

But can wcid-1.5.x could be installed on FC4? They are for FC9 or above. I installed but doesn't seem to work.

Linux Guru
    I know the instructions are for Fedora 9, but does it actually say it can't be installed on anything older that Fedora 9?

Do you have everything installed that you need to compile a program? If you got errors, post them so I can help.

If you don't have all of the needed programs, you may have trouble getting them. Unless they are on your installation disks, you may not be able to get them. That is one of the problems with using an out of date distro.

There is a How-To on installing it in Fedora 7, if that would help.
    Wicd on Fedora - Wicd Wiki
    Last edited by waterhead; 03-16-2009 at 01:47 AM.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    python seemed to be needed that I had. otherwise, I ran it

wicd-client
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/lib/wicd/wicd-client.py", line 43, in ?
    import dbus.service
    ImportError: No module named service

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    in addition to the last problem, I have wicd in Application menu, internet but when I click, nothing happens. Moreover, I don't understand the following commands that don't work:
    cp -r opt/ /
    cp -r usr/ /
    cp etc/dbus-1/system.d/wicd.conf /etc/dbus-1/system.d/

there is no opt, user in wicd folder. the first argument of 3 commands seem to be wrong.
    Moreover, I don't have System -> Preferences -> Personal -> Sessions function in my gnome.

Linux Guru
    /opt and /usr are folders that already exist in the main directory. It is saying to cd (change directory) into the folder of the uncompressed Wicd files. Then issue those commands.

The wicd.conf file is in the /other folder, and the init.d file needs to be copied from the wiki page.

I just noticed that there is a .rpm file linked to in the wiki. You may want to try that, it just may work.

http://spidey2.bmsi.com/linux/el5/wi...1-3.noarch.rpm
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    the folders opt and usr were not created in wicd folder. That's why I couldn't understand but the 3rd was in other folder. So I thought that I should uninstall and reinstall but it doesn't remove files

python setup.py uninstall
    Using init file ('/etc/rc.d/init.d/', 'init/redhat/wicd')
    Creating pid path wicd.pid
    Language support for zh_HK pt_BR eo es_NI ar_EG he sk es_GL sp_MX zh_TW bg_PHO nl ru sl_SI de eu_ES pl es_GT cs_CZ gl_ES fa_IR et_EE ro hu bg lt es_CL ja es te_IN it no ca_ES sv_SE lv en_US ua el_GR ko_KR fr tr id es_VE da_DK ml_IN vi_VN zh_CN fi pt
    running uninstall
    You have successfully uninstalled Wicd.
    Configuration files added after installation were NOT removed.

I attach uninstall.log
    Attached Files Attached Files

Linux Guru
    When I said that /opt and /usr were in the main directory, I mean the main system directory. It wants you to copy TO those directories, not from.

Linux Guru
    I think that you were right. The cp command lists the source first, then the destination. In that case, those commands don't make much sense.

You could try to install an older version of Wicd. The download page has some older versions.

SourceForge.net: wicd: Files

Just Joined!
    is it not better to uninstall first the installed versions and then, install another version? I still have the files in /usr/local/src and can't uninstall as explained in previous reply

ls /usr/local/src/wicd-1.5.4
    AUTHORS encryption init man setup.cfg uninstall.sh
    build icons INSTALL other setup.py wicd
    CHANGES images install.log README translations wpath.py
    data in LICENSE scripts uninstall.log wpath.pyc

Linux Guru
    I misunderstood the meaning of that. Did you run uninstall as root? If you did, and it still won't remove the files, then you can manually remove them. You will need to be root to do this, or have root permissions.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast