Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Originally Posted by waterhead Did you ever get around to installing the firmware? I described how to do it in my first post. You will still need to install this ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Quote Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
    Did you ever get around to installing the firmware? I described how to do it in my first post. You will still need to install this to get your wireless to work.

A little tip, if you plan on installing a different Linux distro in the future. To avoid having to go through the extraction process again, you can extract the firmware to a different folder. Then save the extracted firmware to a USB stick or copy to a CD. I would first create a folder named "firmware" in my home directory.
    Code:
    mkdir ~/firmware
    I would then change my original command:
    Code:
    b43-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware /home/waterhead/broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5/driver/wl_apsta_mimo.o
    To this:
    Code:
    b43-fwcutter -w /home/waterhead/firmware /home/waterhead/broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5/driver/wl_apsta_mimo.o
    To copy the firmware to the /lib/firmware folder, I then would use this command, first using su to gain root priviledges.
    Code:
    cp -R ~/firmware/* /lib/firmware
    The ~/ is a shortcut for your home folder.
    I have not yet installed the firmware there waterhead...

After the dependency resolution gig on that machine, I got hung up on another machine / hardware issue , still not totally resolved. I haven't lit up the laptop with the BCM for 3 days.

It also has PCLOS/2007 on it. I presume the firmware will work also for PCLOS? (Unless 2009 is out already... )

Linux Guru
    I'm not sure how PCLinuxOS installs new software, but the Linux kernel is the same, so the firmware location is generally the same. It may have a firmware package that you can install.

Speaking of firmware packages, I just made a .rpm package that will install the b43 firmware on Fedora and Red Hat. I have tried it on Red Hat 5.3 and Fedora 10, and it seems to work OK. I may be able to attach it to this thread, so that you can download and install it. I first want to tweak it a little.

One thing that I just noticed. You are using Fedora 8, and it is rather old. This may be no longer supported by some repositories, and the cause of some of the dependency errors. Just something to be aware of.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
    I'm not sure how PCLinuxOS installs new software, but the Linux kernel is the same, so the firmware location is generally the same. It may have a firmware package that you can install.

Speaking of firmware packages, I just made a .rpm package that will install the b43 firmware on Fedora and Red Hat. I have tried it on Red Hat 5.3 and Fedora 10, and it seems to work OK. I may be able to attach it to this thread, so that you can download and install it. I first want to tweak it a little.

One thing that I just noticed. You are using Fedora 8, and it is rather old. This may be no longer supported by some repositories, and the cause of some of the dependency errors. Just something to be aware of.
    Thanks - sounds great! I have FC8 only on one machine. The other 2 I have converted to F10, including the one with the BCM4311. I will work on that one first thing Tues.

SuSE has me at a standstill on the machine with FC8 still on it - actually, FC8 got wiped trying to solve GRUB error with SuSE11.1, which I just uncovered tonight - (might be old news to some)
    LinuxPlanet - Tutorials - GRUB vs. the Inodes: Who Needs a Bootable System, Anyway? - Computers: The Fun Never Ends

Linux User
    OK, we are at firmware installation... I don't see where to install it in GUI mode. I clicked Selection/run program, but it sat there with it's thumb up it's optical drive, and looked at me?

Attached Images Attached Images

Linux User
    2nd EDIT Looks like this is the broadcom-wl package too, that you suggested against. I didn't even know this package is that version...

==============================

EDIT:
    I don't know what the correct filepath is. It ain't in lib/firmware. The whole package is on the desktop, but I presume it's already been extracted to somewhere else. I don't even know the filename here...

==============================
    Hit a snag on CLI too...

[chuckfc8@localhost ~]$ su -
    Password:
    [root@localhost ~]# dmesg | grep firmware
    firmware: requesting b43/ucode13.fw
    b43-phy0 ERROR: You must go to b43 - Linux Wireless and download the latest firmware (version 4).
    b43-phy0 ERROR: You must go to b43 - Linux Wireless and download the latest firmware (version 4).
    [root@localhost ~]# uname -a
    Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.26.8-57.fc8 #1 SMP Thu Dec 18 19:19:45 EST 2008 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
    [root@localhost ~]# wget http://bu3sch.de/b43/fwcutter/b43-fwcutter-011.tar.bz2
    --2009-03-03 16:08:15-- http://bu3sch.de/b43/fwcutter/b43-fwcutter-011.tar.bz2
    Resolving bu3sch.de... 62.75.166.246
    Connecting to bu3sch.de|62.75.166.246|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 12538 (12K) [application/x-tar]
    Saving to: `b43-fwcutter-011.tar.bz2'

100%[================================================== ================================================>] 12,538 38.1K/s in 0.3s

2009-03-03 16:08:17 (38.1 KB/s) - `b43-fwcutter-011.tar.bz2' saved [12538/12538]

[root@localhost ~]# tar xjf b43-fwcutter-011.tar.bz2
    [root@localhost ~]# cd b43-fwcutter-011
    [root@localhost b43-fwcutter-011]# make
    cc -Os -fomit-frame-pointer -std=c99 -Wall -pedantic -D_BSD_SOURCE -DFWCUTTER_VERSION_=011 -c -o fwcutter.o fwcutter.c
    make: cc: Command not found
    make: *** [fwcutter.o] Error 127
    [root@localhost b43-fwcutter-011]#

Found this google for the error (expected to see waterhead when I saw 'LinuxForums'):
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...s-problem.html

Fixed...

OOPS... I forgot to create a custom filepath like you showed. What is the default path now that I have already saved this file?

Code:
    sudo ../../b43-fwcutter-011/b43-fwcutter -w "$FIRMWARE_INSTALL_DIR" wl_apsta_mimo.o
    Note that you must adjust the FIRMWARE_INSTALL_DIR path to your distribution. The standard place where firmware is installed to is /lib/firmware. However some distributions put firmware in a different place.

Linux Guru
    The instructions from the Linuxwireless web site are a bit confusing. That is why I usually don't refer people to it. The /lib/firmware is where the firmware will go. the other path is the location of the file that the firmware will be extracted from.

If you are installing on Fedora, here is the rpm file that I made. It should make a b43 folder under/lib/firmware, and put the firmware in it. Since this is basically untested, look in /lib/firmware before and after installing it. I want to make sure it works correctly.

You should be able to manually install it with this command. First gain root privileges using the su command.
    Code:
    rpm -ivh b43-firmware-4.150.10.5-0.noarch.rpm
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Linux User
    I restarted the computer, AFTER downloading and installing by GUI. Then I opened network device control, and tried to enter the wireless passcode. No go; ran into Keyring block. I've seen enough of that thing. How do I set that keyring password to my same login password?

When it rebooted, the prompt came up for the router passcode, so that appears to be solved (except the Keyring block again)(I'm on another machine too).

When the Keyring goes away, then I can log on and evaluate this procedure (for PCLOS on the next partition).

Linux User
    I 'cancelled out' the keyring dialogue box, then the network manager wireless passcode dialogue box, ready to delete the partition... Had enough of it.

So the box closes, and a popup network icon says connected to cobweb (my network).

I don't know if I'll be able to do that again for PCLOS on the next partition

THANKS! (don't get to far away).

EDIT:
    Now, how do I determine if the same driver module will work in PCLOS (I got up now).
    2.6.18.8.tex5 old kernel version I guess...

Linux Guru
    I think that you've lost me on this. I no longer know where you are with this. I also don't know what GUI you are installing, that you refer to. You also need to stick to one distro. Since this is a Fedora thread, let's fix those problems. I have never used PCLinuxOS, and can't offer any specific advice on it. It may generally be the same, as it uses the Linux kernel so kernel modules are the same.

Did you ever get the firmware installed on Fedora? If you succeeded, then you next need to set up the wireless as a new network card. Open the "Network" app from the menu, then click on the wireless in the list and click on "Edit", at the top of the page. On the page that pops up, put a check in the box next to these:

Controlled by NetworkManager
    Allow all users to enable and disable this device
    Automatically obtain IP address settings with dhcp
    Automatically obtain DNS information from provider

Click "OK" to close the window, and then select "File -->Save" to save the new settings. You may want to now reboot for the new setting to take effect. After boot, the wireless can be accessed using the NetworkManager icon in the system tray (taskbar). It is usually next to the time. Right click it, and ensure that the "Enable Wireless" box is checked. You can left click to see available wireless connections.

When you try to connect to a secure wireless network, you will be prompted to enter a password. Once the password is entered, the Keyring Manager will pop up. This will store all of the network passwords that you will accumulate. You have to give the Keyring Manager a password too, then all passwords will be accessible, using just the one password. Instead of fighting with the Keyring Manager, I suggest using it instead.

I hope this helps to get it working on one distro. Concentrate on one problem at a time, otherwise it is too confusing, for both of us.

Linux User
    Sorry there waterhead - didn't mean to confuse ya'.

The wireless is up. I don't know when during the following sequence it connected:

1) I downloaded your firmware that you posted.

2) I installed it by clicking on 'Install' button that popped up. That's what I meant by GUI.

3) Then I opened network device control, and tried to enter the wireless passcode. No-go; I ran into Keyring block. My root login password didn't get recognized.

4) That was a dead end with the 'Keyring' password, so I re-booted.

5) The wireless passcode prompt came up again on re-boot. I entered it, but the Keyring gig started up again. Finally, I just closed out the Keyring dialogue window.

6) A 'connected' balloon popped up, saying connected to wireless.

After that, I just said thanks, and stick around, in case I couldn't sort through the procedure to do it again for PCLOS.

Still confused? Me too!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast