Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I need to set up my wireless card on ubuntu 8.10 I followed what I could in the sticky. I'm kind of a noob so I didn't really get all ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wireless help

I need to set up my wireless card on ubuntu 8.10

I followed what I could in the sticky. I'm kind of a noob so I didn't really get all of it, but I did get my card info so here is the line:

03:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Adapter [168c:001c] (rev 01)

I didn't see anything I recognized as a wireless card when i typed in lsmod and I didn't even know what to think when i did dmesg. Like I said I'm kind of a noob.

I didn't try anything that had to do with the NDISwrapper whatever that is.

Thanks to anyone who attempts to help me despite my noobyness.

Connect to the internet with an ethernet cable. Then go to System->Administration->Hardware drivers and let it install the drivers it finds. After driver installation reboot your PC and see if it works. Post again if it doesn't.

Just Joined!
    Nothing. By the way it detects the bluetooth part. Just not the wireless part.

And when I ran a hardware test it recognized the wireless card. Am I just being an idiot? Is there something I'm missing that I have to do in network configuration?

Also when I looked at "Hardware Drivers" it had "Support for Atheros 802.11 wireless LAN cards" activated.

You have an atheros card? Those typically aren't seen in the hardware drivers....they usually work out of the box or even with a live distro....

do this in terminal:

sudo lspci

post what it spits out, see if you can find your card listed in that. Do you know what model card you have?
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by jmadero View Post
    You have an atheros card? Those typically aren't seen in the hardware drivers....they usually work out of the box or even with a live distro....

do this in terminal:

sudo lspci

post what it spits out, see if you can find your card listed in that. Do you know what model card you have?
    He already posted that info:
    Quote Originally Posted by amazure View Post
    03:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Adapter [168c:001c] (rev 01)
    For some reason Ubuntu doesn't automatically enable and load the ath5k driver module that this card uses, because it considers it developmental. You have to enable a certain repository first, but I am not sure which one.

Any Ubuntu die-hards want to help with this one?
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Adapter (rev 01)

Yes I already said that.

Before that there was just a bunch of stuff about the nvidia graphics and something about fireware.

In case I didn't say before and it wasn't inferred, the card is built in.

Linux Guru
    It looks like you need to enable the backports repository, so try this.

Open this:
    System-->Administration-->Software Sources

On the "Updates" tab, check this box:
    Unsupported updates (hardy-backports)

After it reloads the data, there may now be a driver for it in the "Hardware Drivers" section.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    Well it says intrepid-backports not hardy-backports but I'll try it anyway.

Linux Guru
    To be more specific, I think that you need to install this package:
    linux-backports-modules

The version you need is the same as your kernel version.

EDIT: I found an Ubuntu help page on this

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...Driver/Atheros

Just Joined!
    Ok there's nothing different. There has always been a "Support for Atheros 802.11 wireless LAN cards" and that was still there. It did appear to possibly fix a graphics card problem I was having so thanks for that.

----

Hold on I posted that before I saw your last post. Let me check on that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast