Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
I have downloaded the packages and installed them. I will attempt to make an install on the driver now. I'll post back what happens....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I have downloaded the packages and installed them. I will attempt to make an install on the driver now. I'll post back what happens.

Just Joined!
    I'm reading the README file. But as I'm new to this I don't fully understand what it's telling me to do.

3> In os/linux/config.mk
    define the GCC and LD of the target machine
    define the compiler flags CFLAGS
    modify to meet your need.
    ** Build for being controlled by NetworkManager or wpa_supplicant wext functions
    Please set 'HAS_WPA_SUPPLICANT=y' and 'HAS_NATIVE_WPA_SUPPLICANT_SUPPORT=y'.
    => #>cd wpa_supplicant-x.x
    => #>./wpa_supplicant -Dwext -ira0 -c wpa_supplicant.conf -d
    ** Build for being controlled by WpaSupplicant with Ralink Driver
    Please set 'HAS_WPA_SUPPLICANT=y' and 'HAS_NATIVE_WPA_SUPPLICANT_SUPPORT=n'.
    => #>cd wpa_supplicant-0.5.7
    => #>./wpa_supplicant -Dralink -ira0 -c wpa_supplicant.conf -d

I see the spot in the file where it wants me to fill in the values but I don't know what GCC or LD is. Nor do I know what CFLAGS are or how to find them.

Linux Guru
    I would only change the part about wpa_supplicant. You want to use NetworkManager, so it would look like this:
    Code:
    # Support Wpa_Supplicant
    HAS_WPA_SUPPLICANT=y

# Support Native WpaSupplicant for Network Maganger [SIC]
    HAS_NATIVE_WPA_SUPPLICANT_SUPPORT=y
    It then wants you to actually set up wpa_supplicant so that it can be used by the driver. I believe that you only need to run this command.
    Code:
    wpa_supplicant -Dwext -ira0 -c wpa_supplicant.conf -d
    You may need to specify the location of the wpa_supplicant.conf file. It is usually in the /etc folder. For more info use this command.
    Code:
    wpa_supplicant --help
    Of course, if you find that you don't have wpa_supplicant installed, you should install it first.

Edit: It tells you to run the make command, but not the make install command. I think that you will have to run make install, otherwise I don't see how it will be installed! Run make as a regular user, but use sudo to run make install.
    Last edited by waterhead; 03-09-2009 at 09:31 PM.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    I changed the values in the file. But when I ran that code it gave me this:

eric@eric-desktop:~$ sudo -i
    [sudo] password for eric:
    root@eric-desktop:~# wpa_supplicant -Dwext -ira0 -c wpa_supplicant.conf -d
    Initializing interface 'ra0' conf 'wpa_supplicant.conf' driver 'wext' ctrl_interface 'N/A' bridge 'N/A'
    Configuration file 'wpa_supplicant.conf' -> '/root/wpa_supplicant.conf'
    Reading configuration file '/root/wpa_supplicant.conf'
    Failed to read or parse configuration '/root/wpa_supplicant.conf'.
    Failed to add interface ra0
    Cancelling scan request
    Cancelling authentication timeout
    root@eric-desktop:~#

I'm guessing I don't have wpa_supplicant installed.

Just Joined!
    Ok so my Synaptic Package Manager says it is installed. I guess I need some assistance as to figure out what the error is in that code.

Linux Guru
    It's looking for the config file in the root folder. I can guarantee that it isn't there.
    Code:
    Configuration file 'wpa_supplicant.conf' -> '/root/wpa_supplicant.conf'
    Reading configuration file '/root/wpa_supplicant.conf'
    Failed to read or parse configuration '/root/wpa_supplicant.conf'.
    Failed to add interface ra0
    Cancelling scan request
    Cancelling authentication timeout
    It is in /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf or /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
    I'm guessing I don't have wpa_supplicant installed.
    If you get results when entering the wpa_supplicant --help command, then it is installed. You also may have to run the command after the driver is installed. There is no ra0 wireless until the driver creates it.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    I looked in the etc/wpa_supplicant folder and there is no .conf file in it

Linux Guru
    I guess that you will have to create one. If you look in /usr/share/doc/wpa_supplicant-x.x.x, there is a sample file. It looks complicated, but you really only need something like this.
    Code:
    # WPA-PSK/TKIP

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant

network={
        ssid="example wpa-psk network"
        key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
        proto=WPA
        pairwise=TKIP
        group=TKIP
        psk="secret passphrase"
    }
    This is for wpa-psk, which you should be using. This can wait until you install the driver. NetworkManager doesn't even use wpa_supplicant, so you may not even need to do this.

Just Joined!
    Ok, I would attempt to install the driver but I have no idea what to do. If you could please help me with the syntax needed to make the install.

Linux Guru
    Since you seem rather new to this, and may have never done this before, you will need to experiment a little. Nothing is better than actual experience, and this usually involves making mistakes, too.

There is a How-To sticky dealing with program installation in Linux. Please read it, and use it as a general guide. When you get errors, post the first error that it gives. We will try and help you get past it.

How To Install Software in Linux

For this driver, you should follow the section about Compiling and Installing Software From Source.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast