Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
I use a t-mobile dongle and have got it to work with several linux distros. some of them automatically detect my modem, some of them have to be told to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I use a t-mobile dongle and have got it to work with several linux distros. some of them automatically detect my modem, some of them have to be told to switch modes, because the modem is a dual mode usb device.
    In those that dont detect the modem, I use terminal or consoleand type:
    modprobe usbserial vendor=0x12d1 product=0x1003
    the vendor and product ID is for huawei e160 and e220 usb device, yours may be different.
    then you'll have to use internet dialup tool, entering:-
    service name
    phone number
    authentication type
    username and password.
    modem settings are always.
    /dev/ttyUSB0
    IP set to dynamic, everything else auto

example-t-mobile settings

connection name t-mobile uk
    number *99#
    authentication CHAP
    username tmobile
    password tm

Hope this is helpful

Just Joined!
    Thanks to all that replied to my post. I am unable to follow the instructions .
    I was hoping to plug and play but this is not the case as I am unable to understand some 'computer jargon' I cannot get the notebook to work I find 'Linux' difficult to use, I can add and remove anything from windows but 'Linus' is not the one for me!! .
    I think I have to sell and go back to an OS thet is easy to follow.

Many thanks to all that tried to Help but it must be 'Goodbye' to Linux for me

Linux Guru
    Linux is something that you have to learn, to use . You had to learn how to use Windows, you weren't born with that knowledge.

If you feel that you would like to try again sometime, we are here to help you. I would suggest trying a Linux LiveCD. It will boot into Linux without changing your Windows PC. This way you can experiment and lean Linux, and still have the familiar Windows to fall back on.

Most major Linux distributions have LiveCDs, so take your pick!
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I have tried Umbuntu on my desktop and it was OK, so I have worked with linux before but the 'Linux' on my Asus is something else.
    It is so basic that I cannot download anything, I have read many magazines without getting any further, I have tried many threads without success, maybe the ASUS is too small for me to do anything with (7") so I am going up a size to 10" and back to windows.
    I will still try to get it going but at the moment it is taking too much time and I dont think it is worth the effort.

Just Joined!
    Hey gadgetgirl, dont give up,I'm sure it's not that hard. There is a website for xandros Xandros: Linux Desktop and Server Operating Systems
    I guess you must have a paid version, so you should get some suport from them. Support - Xandros
    also here is their contact page
    Contact Us - Xandros

this OS supports 3G and GPRS so you should be able to just enter your provider details and go.
    Good luck. I'm going to download the 30day trial and see If I can make it work, then I'll let you know how I get on.
    Meanwhile, have a look at your vodaphone dongle, there should be a manufacturers label on it. Post what the label says please. If we can identify which dongle you are using, it will be a help.

Just Joined!
    I think the program you need to use is kPPP internet dialup tool, which, in most linux OSs, can be found on the user menu.
    It will either be in setup menu or internet/network menu.

Just Joined!

Smile

This is the info' at the back of my Vodafone PAYT dongle:
    Model: K 3565
    ImEI: 355855020850275
    SN: DX7NAA18B1212755

FCC ID: QISK3565
    HUAWEI TECHNOLOGIES CO. LTD

Linux Guru
    It sounds like you need to enable the full desktop, instead of the default one that comes with the Eee PC. Here is an example of what I mean.

What is Full Desktop (Advanced Mode)? [EeeUser Eee PC Wiki]

The first thing that I did was to change it to the full desktop mode. I followed these instructions, adding the required repository.

Enable Advanced Desktop Mode [EeeUser Eee PC Wiki]

I did post here at the time that I did it.

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...epc-900-a.html

Since there are slight differences in the models, you may have to do something slightly different. I encourage you to check out the wiki at eeeusers.com, and also their forum. You can find most of the answers to your questions just by searching.

Welcome to EeeUser! [EeeUser Eee PC Wiki]
    EeeUser ASUS Eee PC Forum
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    Ok, now please have a look on the user menu for internet dialup,
    you should find kPPP dialup tool.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast