Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
I have tried and tried , but I cannot get my notebook to accept my new PAYT Vodafone dongle. It works with my 'Vists' laptop but not with 'Linux' notebook ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Asus Eee & Vodafone

I have tried and tried , but I cannot get my notebook to accept my new PAYT Vodafone dongle. It works with my 'Vists' laptop but not with 'Linux' notebook .
    Can anyone HELP !!!!!

Linux Guru
    Are you running the Xandros operating system that came with it, or have you installed something else?

I also am not sure exactly what a Vodafone is. I no longer have Xandros installed on my Eee Pc 900, but I recall that it supported wireless broadband. Is this what you are trying to connect to?

The latest versions of NetworkManager support connections to two type of wireless broadband, GSM and CDMA. Xandros does not use NetworkManager, though. But I believe that it supports both of those too.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
    Are you running the Xandros operating system that came with it, or have you installed something else?

I also am not sure exactly what a Vodafone is. I no longer have Xandros installed on my Eee Pc 900, but I recall that it supported wireless broadband. Is this what you are trying to connect to?

The latest versions of NetworkManager support connections to two type of wireless broadband, GSM and CDMA. Xandros does not use NetworkManager, though. But I believe that it supports both of those too.
    Vodafone is mobile broadband.
    I cannot conect my Asus EeePC to the vodafone mobile brodband but can connect to my home hub.
    I bought the mobile brodband so I can use my Asus while traveling but it will not work

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    That is what I meant. Wireless broadband = mobile broadband.

You still haven't said what version of Linux you are using. If it is Xandros, I recall that it has a network connection wizard of some sort. It will guide you through the set up of a new connection. This also includes mobile broadband connections.

The other possibility is that Xandros does not have the driver needed for your device. You would need to track down the driver needed, and manually install it.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Linux Guru
    A little more searching and I found that Vodafone does support Linux, and is keeping drivers updated. Check out this web site.

Betavine - New Linux Home Page

I believe that you will need specific information concerning the dongle that you are using.

Just Joined!
    A little more searching and I found that Vodafone does support Linux, and is keeping drivers updated. Check out this web site.

Betavine - New Linux Home Page

I believe that you will need specific information concerning the dongle that you are using.
    I have used the Betavine site but I found that it could not hlp me at the moment, I am waiting for an update !!

Linux Guru
    You still need to give us more detailed information.

The exact model of Eee PC that you are using.
    The exact model of the device.
    Type of device. (USB or PCI]
    Chipset of the device.
    Version of Linux you are using,
    Linux kernel version.

You can get the chipset info by using this command. Post the output in this thread.
    Code:
    lspci
    The kernel version that you are running can be found with this command.
    Code:
    uname -r
    Since you know about the Betavine site, have you tried their forums for help?

Just Joined!

Unhappy

You still need to give us more detailed information.

The exact model of Eee PC that you are using.
    The exact model of the device.
    Type of device. (USB or PCI]
    Chipset of the device.
    Version of Linux you are using,
    Linux kernel version.

You can get the chipset info by using this command. Post the output in this thread.
    Code:
    lspci
    The kernel version that you are running can be found with this command.
    Code:
    uname -r
    Since you know about the Betavine site, have you tried their forums for help?
    Betavine cannot help.
    My Asus is:
    Eee PC 2G Surf
    I have the information using ctrl + alt + t, but cannot send this information to you as my notebook will not cut & paste,

This is part of it.

USB Controller: 82801FB/FBM/FR/FWFRW (ICH6 Family)

Thanks for your help but I think I should throw in the towel and go back to Windows.

JUST WANTED TO ADD THIS INFO:
    BIOS VERSION: 0129
    SOFTWARE VERSION: Eee pc 1.0.2
    CUP INTEL (R) MOBILE PROCESSOR
    MEMORY SIZE: 512 MB
    MOTHERBOARD VERSION: 2,30G

Linux Guru
    Don't give up so soon! We just need more info to help you.

There is a way to pipe the output of a command directly as a text file. The file can then be found in the home directory of whatever user issued the command.
    Code:
    lspci > lspci.txt
    Code:
    uname -r > uname.txt
    You can then copy these files to a Windows PC, if you need to.

Just Joined!
    Don't give up so soon! We just need more info to help you.

There is a way to pipe the output of a command directly as a text file. The file can then be found in the home directory of whatever user issued the command.
    Code:
    lspci > lspci.txt
    Code:
    uname -r > uname.txt
    You can then copy these files to a Windows PC, if you need to.
    Thank you, I will have a go and let you know how I get on

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast