Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I just installed VectorLinux on an old Thinkpad T21. It picked up my Atheros card and wicd detected and connected to my WiFi net very smoothly (hidden SSID, WPA/PSK). ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can wicd scan channels 1 to 13?

Hi,

I just installed VectorLinux on an old Thinkpad T21. It picked up my Atheros card and wicd detected and connected to my WiFi net very smoothly (hidden SSID, WPA/PSK).

However, it completely failed to find the next net I wanted to use (also hidden SSID, WPA/PSK).

The second net is very similar to the first but while the first is on channel 1, the second is on 12 or 13 (these are legal in Europe). When I checked wireless-settings.conf I found channel = 1.

My question is: Am I right - wicd is only looking on channel 1? How can I get the machine to easily connect to both nets? Hopefully there's some obscure wicd/wireless-settings.conf setting I can use? Or do I need to set up something to stop/re-config/re-start wicd maybe??

Thanks,
    Dave

Linux Guru
    When I tried Red Hat on my Eee PC, I had to install Wicd for it's wireless support. I have only connected to my home network with it, so that is what my wireless-settings.conf file has. My access point is using channel 11, so that is what is in the file. I think that file is just storing the connection information.

It should scan and then show all available networks. You can also do this in a terminal, using this command.
    Code:
    iwlist scan
    Last edited by waterhead; 03-19-2009 at 09:31 PM.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    Thanks Paul, I'll try that... I doubt it'll find nets with hidden SSIDs though...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Try

Code:
    iwlist  channel
    on the command line. If it only shows 11 channels the put

Code:
    options cfg80211 ieee80211_regdom="EU"
    into /etc/modprobe.conf (this is in fedora but expect all dists to be the same).

You will have to either reboot or reload the wifi modules (at least the cfg80211 module).
    In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?

Just Joined!
    Blinky, you're a genuis! Thanks, worked a treat.