Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have the wireless card built in to the system, and the computer connects flawlessly via ethernet cable. However, to wireless modem, no luck. I can find my router as ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation Dell mini w/Ubuntu 8.04 - no wifi

I have the wireless card built in to the system, and the computer connects flawlessly via ethernet cable. However, to wireless modem, no luck. I can find my router as one of the wirless networks, I enter in the correct wireless security, the router password, and the security type, and nothing. It shows that I have a 100% wireless network connection to my router, with the blue bars on the top toolbar, but when I open up the web browser, it can't find any websites. Not sure if this helps, but I tried to do the hardware find:

"Open Device Manager (System → Preferences → Hardware Information).
    Check to see the hardware is recognised if it is then the section called “Check for driver”.

I don't have have the "Hardware Information" selection under my Preferences. Is this bad? I don't have anything even remotely named this or Device Manager. I think that maybe I should though since it is referenced a lot.

On a side note, my internal bluetooth recognized my Dell bluetooth mouse, but I cannot use it. I've changed the batteries, pushed the find button on the bottom of the mouse, the little blue light blinks, and again, nothing. A USB mouse plugs in and works fine, as well as the mousepad on the keyboard.

Any help with either or both of these problems would be great since Dell has no useful info to help me. This is the first time I have been exposed to Linux, so any acronyms will be wasted on me. In otherwords, please be very explicit when detailing a fix for me.

Thank you and much appreciation for taking the time to read this post.

Linux Guru
    Please read through this stickied post, and post the info that it describes how to find.

Wireless Setup - Start Here

If there are any terms that you do not understand, use Google to find a definition.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.