Find the answer to your Linux question:
hai, my college allows to acess the internet at a concessional rate through its cable network.the cable sockets to which computers can be connected to acess the internet are provided ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question is there a solution for wireless networking across a distance of 600metre

hai,
    my college allows to acess the internet at a concessional rate through its cable network.the cable sockets to which computers can be connected to acess the internet are provided in all the rooms , but i stay approximately 600 to700 metres away from the nearest cable socket due to lack of rooms inside the college campus. so my question is "will i be able to acess the internet by installing a secure wireless hub in the nearest cable socket, if yes how much will such an installation take?are there any better solutions than this?" .iam a newbie to computers as such, let the explanations be simple.kindly reply

Linux Guru
    If you have a direct line of sight to the wireless access point, you just may need a better antenna. You first would need to use a wireless card that allows you to connect an external antenna. Most built-in cards, and many USB/PCMCIA cards don't have this capability.

You then need a directional antenna. This is often referred to as a "cantenna", because many of the original designs were made from a Pringle's Potato Chip can. Here is one such device:

PringlesCantenna - SeattleWireless
    AntennaHowTo - SeattleWireless
    Antenna on the Cheap (er, Chip)

There may be a different antenna that you could put on the access point end. I don't know about this, but the source of my first link, Seattle Wireless may have info on that.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.