Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I am new to linux and trying to set up TP-Link TL-WN851N 802.11n wireless card on ubuntu 8.10 . I found the chipset of this is 'atheros' and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Setting up TP-Link TL-WN851N 802.11n wireless card on ubuntu

Hi all,

I am new to linux and trying to set up TP-Link TL-WN851N 802.11n wireless card on ubuntu 8.10 . I found the chipset of this is 'atheros' and so I should be able to use the madwifi driver 'ath9k' but I'm having no luck. Any help would be appreciated. Below is some info about my set up

"lspci -n":

03:07.0 0280: 168c:0003 (rev 01)

"lspci"
    03:07.o Network Controller: Atheros Communications Inc. Device 0003 (rev 01)

"uname -r"
    2.6.27-7-generic

I found that the 'ath9k' module was not running so I install this aswell as the 'mac80211' module using modprobe but still no luck.

Tell me if you need anymore info (and how to get it) and I'll put it up.

Thanks

Hi and welcome. Look here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...Driver/Atheros Try the ath5k drivers.

Linux Guru
    Ubuntu considers the ath5k and ath9k drivers to be "experimental", and does not enable them in their kernel. They instead offer the Madwifi driver through one of their repositories.

The easiest way to get the ath5k and ath9k drivers, is to install them through the compat-wireless package.

Download - Linux Wireless

Before you can compile those drivers, you first need these programs installed.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-source
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential
    These drivers will be built for the currently running kernel. If you ever update the kernel, you will need to re-install the drivers for the new kernel. You may want to update to the latest kernel before you build these drivers. (I think that you already have the latest).
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.