Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a Compaq Presario V5000 laptop, and I've been using Linux (debian Linux variant, Ubuntu) with it now for several years and have found it fickle when trying to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linksys WUSB100 Wireless Adapter Working on Ubuntu 9.04

I have a Compaq Presario V5000 laptop, and I've been using Linux (debian Linux variant, Ubuntu) with it now for several years and have found it fickle when trying to get the widely used laptop wireless NIC like the one installed in my laptop, namely, the Broadcom bcm4318, working properly. I finally got the NIC working a while back when I was running Ubuntu 8.04 using a How-To on the Ubuntu website. When I upgraded to Ubuntu 9.04, my NIC stopped working again, and I could not get it to work no matter what I tried. Then, I found a better alternative. I had a Linksys WUSB100 wireless NIC, one that is only compatible with Windows OS's after Win 2000, lying around gathering dust. With ndiswrapper loaded on my PC already, I searched for a Windows XP driver for the WUSB100 NIC online [with my laptop plugged into my ethernet port, of course] and loaded the .inf file into the Ubuntu 9.04 kernel using the terminal command: ndiswrapper -i <driver name>, substituting <driver name> with the actual driver's .inf filename. Then, I unplugged the ethernet connection and plugged the WUSB100 adapter into one of my USB ports. Ubuntu 9.04 recognized it right away and after setting up a new wireless connection to my protected network and activating it, Voila! I was on the Internet. I just love it when a plan comes together.

Linux Guru
    Actually, the internal Broadcom 4318 is well supported in Linux using the b43 driver. The only thing that you have to do is install the proprietary firmware, then it will work. Fortunately Ubuntu makes this very easy, just make sure you have a wired internet connection, and run this command.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter
    It will ask: "Fetch and install firmware?". Answer "Yes" (press enter).

There may also be a true Linux driver or the USB wireless, if you're interested in pursuing it.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.