Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, My wireless is working fine in both Mandriva and Ubuntu. But I have noticed a strange behaviour of my router. Don't know if that is normal. The issue is, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

[SOLVED] On _each_ cold boot of router, have to save wirelss settings for SSID to dis

Hi,
    My wireless is working fine in both Mandriva and Ubuntu. But I have noticed a strange behaviour of my router. Don't know if that is normal.

The issue is, wireless will be working fine. But if I power off and then power on my router (I usually keep it powered off when not using), no matter how many times I refresh, the SSID does not get displayed on the Network Manager. If I try to make a 'New Connection' then also it does not work. Both ways I cannot connect. I *have* to use wired connection to login to my router, go to wireless configuration page and (atleast) click on 'Save/Apply' button. I don't have to do any changes to the settings; all I have to do is to click on 'Save/Apply' button! Only then the SSID is displayed on the Network manager. Then I can connect and there will be no issues.

This happens for _every_ cold boot, in _every_ distro I have tried-Mandriva, Ubuntu and openSUSE. So, its not related to distros I guess. I don't have windows so can't verify there. Mostly related to the router. (Btw, its a UTStarcom WA3002G4 model provided by BSNL for DataOne connection.)

Is this normal? If not what is the remedy?
    A candle looses nothing by lighting other candles. - Khalil Zibran.
    Registered Linux User #490076

Linux User
    On my router I have to login as root to save settings. If you are logged in as user it won't save.
    Registered Linux User #420832

Well, even I login as admin, only then we can save any changes to the router.

But my problem is, each time I cold boot the router, I have to click on 'Save/Apply', whether or not I make any changes to the wireless configuration, if my linux has to trace the SSID! Its the same with three distros I tried.

Are you experiencing the same?

Linux User
    I'll cold boot the router and find out.

Linux User
    No-mine stayed up. My router is an old TrendNet one.

Don't know whats wrong with mine then

I cannot confirm if its problem with the router coz I don't use windows and don't know how it would behave in windows. But the symptoms are same on three distros I tried.

Will do one test. Will remove the security settings. Let me see if the distro recognises my SSID (with open authentication) without any problem after a cold boot.

Linux User
    I no longer have Windows on any of my computers. The laptop runs Linux Mint XFCE. It seems like its something wrong with the router to me. Check the homepage to see if there is new software(firmware) available for it.

Just Joined!

Same Problem on Windows XP

Hi All,

I would like to confirm that the same problem as Saivin reported is on Windows XP as well . And looks like something to do with WA3002G4 itself .
    Because if you make the wireless "open" without any secure authentification then clearly after the switch off/on of the WA3002G4 and Laptop then it detects the modem and this problem is not there .

The moment I set WPA-PSK and a secure key on the modem this problem surfaces .I got this modem around 4 days back and took time to finalize the observations .

Please help me to know as to if you fiound what the solution is .

Thanks in Advance !!

I didnot find any solution to the problem yet. I just connect to my wired network, open router settings page, click on 'Save/Apply' icon. The network manager detects the wireless network after few seconds. I then disconnect my wire and use wireless.

I have not got chance to work in any other wireless network so don't know how my distro (oh not distro..., even windows...right) will behave while connecting to them. I'm ready to take this little pain in order to have secure connection. Will never keep my connection set to 'open'.

Just Joined!
    Thanks Saivin for the prompt reply on a thread that is 6 months old. Yes well I will continue digging and If I get a solution ,I will come back. Looks to me now a modem problem thoroughlly especially when we are having to intialize it everytime.
    And definitely , I just mentioned the open thing to show a scenario and Yes keeping wireless networks open in not acceptable at all . Can be this modem needs a firmware upgrade and what we are facing is a product defect. Tried all sorts of network permutation combination circus but to no avail . SO yes connect with the wire ,click save/apply and then use wireless is the unfortunate workaround we will live with for now.

Cheers!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast