Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I had to plug it in to download a program. How do I disable wl and run b43? Sorry, I am new to Linux....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I had to plug it in to download a program. How do I disable wl and run b43? Sorry, I am new to Linux.

Linux User
    See reed9 post earlier. Add wl driver to blacklist and comment out the blacklist for b43 driver by putting # in front of it. Then run sudo modprobe b43. That should load the module and (hopefully) wireless should work.
    Registered Linux User #420832

Linux Guru
    The wireless is a BCM4312, and it is actually supported by both the b43 and wl drivers. The b43 only partially supports this chip, so I think that the wl driver is the better one, in this case.

This may be a network configuration issue.

If you are going to try the b43 driver, you will need to install the firmware too. Ubuntu/Kububtu makes this rather easy, if you have a wired internet connection, enter this command.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter
    When you are asked "Fetch and install firmware?", answer "Yes" (press enter).
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Linux Guru
    I think that I may know why the wl driver wasn't working, There is a module named ssb that loads for Broadcom network devices. It is loading because of the b44 module needed for the wired network device.

If you haven't already gone too far, you could remove the b44 and ssb module and reload the wl module. If you loaded the b43 module, remove that too.
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -r b44
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -r b43
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -r ssb
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -r wl
    Now reload the wl module.
    Code:
    sudo modprobe wl
    Now see if the wireless works. With this method, the wired connection will not work. If you don't need it, then we could blacklist the b43/b44 drivers instead of the wl driver.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the help, but I managed to find a method that worked and kept my wired connection.

Running these:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper-common ndiswrapper-utils-1.9 cabextract
    echo 'blacklist wl' | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    echo 'blacklist b43' | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    mkdir wifi
    cd wifi
    wget h__p://ftp.us.dell.c_m/network/R140747.EXE
    unzip R140747.EXE
    sudo ndiswrapper -i DRIVER/bcmwl5.inf
    echo ndiswrapper | sudo tee -a /etc/modules
    I rebooted, then it worked perfectly.

Thanks for the help, everyone.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Ericj1186 View Post
    Thanks for the help, but I managed to find a method that worked and kept my wired connection.
    Using the b43 driver and installing the firmware would accomplish this. You would also be getting a driver that is superior to the ndiswraper method. And the benefit would be not having any microsoft software on your system.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ericj1186 View Post
    Hello, I am trying to set-up my wireless card. I am running Kubuntu 9.04 (kernel 2.6.28.11. The card I have, according to the lspci command I am using Broadcom BCM4313 Network Card. I went to this site to locate drivers because I am able to see my wireless device, connect, but I cannot do anything on any websites. Here is my driver: broadcom.c_m / support/802.11/linux_sta.php

I burned the disk with my other 64-Bit computer in mind, so my distro is 64-bit.

I ran lsmod and dmesg, but I didn't see anything related to my wireless device.

I believe this is all the information that the post asked, but if you need more, please feel free to ask. I have attached my LSPCI file.

Thanks for any help.
    I am looking for source for linux 2.6.28.11. where did you download from?

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Linux2011 View Post
    I am looking for source for linux 2.6.28.11. where did you download from?
    Hello and welcome to the forums!

Please feel free to start a new thread with any issues that you might be having. This one is over 16 months old so locking it down.

Thank you.
    oz

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2