Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
When Broadcom wireless cards are missing the firmware, they will "appear" to work. But trying to connect will just lead to frustration. It looks like he may have the firmware. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

When Broadcom wireless cards are missing the firmware, they will "appear" to work. But trying to connect will just lead to frustration.

It looks like he may have the firmware. He is running into the permissions roadblock.

Bivouhac: When doing any administrative tasks or working outside of your home directory, you need to have root privileges. Ubuntu has (stupidly) disabled the root account, so it makes the first user established accessable to the root privileges. You still need to go through the process to aquire root privileges, by preceding the command with the sudo command. i see that you have done that before.

You want to copy the firmware to this folder: /lib/firmware/b43
    It seems to have created the b43 folder, so you can just copy it to the /lib/firmware directory. An easy way to do this is to open a file browser with root permisions.
    Code:
    gksudo nautilus
    Now find the folder with the firmware and copy it to /lib/firmware.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    Ok,Turns out my wireless light turned on and I didn't notice it. I now have wireless and it's working !

Thanks for all the help reed9, really appreciate it! & I'll keep that installer in mind for future use.

UPDATE:

Im not sure exactly what did it to get the wireless working.
    I re-tried running the firmware extraction, after using the .deb package...I never used the sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter command and that still gives an error, but the wireless IS working.

At one point the Task bar would display the wireless signal with blue signal bars, now it is grayed out with an X but I still have access to the internet, and enabling and disabling the wireless connection will either turn on or off my wireless indicator light on the laptop.

I guess that is only a minor problem and doesn't really affect anything.

I cannot use the button on my laptop to enable/disable the wireless
    I cannot see Connection info but before I could
    It says last connection was xx minutes ago ...but I am still connected.

and the wireless indicator on the task bar is flaky, it has returned to it's normal state after a restart and displays connection info, the weather is also updated.

Glad you got it working!

Just Joined!
    UPDATE: (for future reference)

Im not sure exactly what I did to get the wireless working. Something in this thread worked. Be sure to pay attention to the indicators and test the connection after making a change.
    I re-tried running the firmware extraction, after using the .deb package...I never used the sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter command and that still gives an error, but the wireless IS working.

The wireless indicator on the task bar is flaky and isn't exactly coordinated with the button on my laptop.

It seems that the button on my laptop does turn the card on/off but the light will not turn on/off. To get the light to turn off you must disable wireless through the task bar. This may have been causing some issues as well ??

But it is working now, and I got it figured out, Thanks to you guys

Just Joined!
    Does anyone have a hack for wireles button switch on Dell latitude D820.
    I was suggested to disable it.
    Any ideas, how to get this work?
    Version that would do: kubuntu or ubuntu 8.04, 8.10, 9.04
    thx

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by gregor171 View Post
    Does anyone have a hack for wireles button switch on Dell latitude D820.
    I was suggested to disable it.
    Any ideas, how to get this work?
    Version that would do: kubuntu or ubuntu 8.04, 8.10, 9.04
    thx
    Hijacking a thread for your own help request is not allowed. Please start a new thread about your problem. Read this sticky on what you should post.

Wireless Setup - Start Here
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2