Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey everyone, just wanted to point out that ath5k seems to be really stable now and I have not had any problems at all with it. I was using MadWifi ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Ath5K has arrived! (for me)

Hey everyone, just wanted to point out that ath5k seems to be really stable now and I have not had any problems at all with it. I was using MadWifi because I could never get ath5k to work on my device, which is a Belkin card with an Atheros AR2413 chipset. The most awesome thing about ath5k is that you don't have to download anything unless you want to because it's built right into the kernel or you can download it as part of The Linux wireless compatibility package.
    Download - Linux Wireless

Either way, if any of you are using Atheros chipsets with Madwfi, I urge you to try ath5k, here's the link that got me up and running.
    ath5k - Linux Wireless
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Linux Guru
    Welcome to the club!

I've used the ath5k on my Eee PC 900 since I dumped the stock Xandros operating system. While Xandros used the Madwifi driver, I installed Fedora 10 and the stock ath5k driver worked.

When I tried Red Hat 5.3, I found the ath5k driver in that kernel didn't work. The regular Madwifi driver didn't work either, and I found that I had to use a special madwifi-hal snapshot available from here.

Here's the wireless that I have:
    Code:
    Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

One thing I haven't figured out yet......before I install either of the drivers my device is listed as an ar5005 or something like that but once the drivers are installed it becomes ar2413.
    Redhat 5.3 had ath5k??
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    Redhat 5.3 had ath5k??
    Yea, I was surprised too. Even though it didn't work for me.

I was recently looking at the kernel, and found a few wireless drivers in it. There is the rt73 rt2400 rt2500, plus a couple of others.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

The also have the Intel Pro drivers.