Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
@Waterhead According to his other post, he has the b4328, which I don't believe is supported by the b43 driver. Fedora is probably my least favorite distro, and I really ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

@Waterhead According to his other post, he has the b4328, which I don't believe is supported by the b43 driver.

Fedora is probably my least favorite distro, and I really don't know it's quirks well at all. Does ndiswrapper -l show the driver as still loaded? ndiswrapper -m should have written an alias to /etc/modprobe.conf for wlan0; is that there?

Looking around, I have seen at least one report that the linux driver released by Broadcom does support the 4328 card. You can try installing that, it's in the rpmfusion repository.

EDIT: Or I could look in his lspci output and see that he definitely has the 4328 card.

Linux Guru
    Actually, your wireless BCM4328 is not supported by the b43 driver. I don't know why it was loading that driver.

It does appear to be supported by the Broadcom Linux STA driver. This driver uss the wl module. This driver can be installed with YUM, after enabling the RPMFusion repository.

RPM Fusion - RPM Fusion

Edit: You posted while I was still typing.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    I installed the RPM Fusion and when I try to install the Broadcom driver with yum, it just tells me there are no packages for it. Ndiswrapper -l is still saying the same thing, driver installed and device present. The alias is still in the modprobe file. Maybe I missed something with the RPM Fusion, installed it and updated yum then reboot.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    You have the non-free section enabled?

You can also do it the manual way. Go to this site. Download:
    kmod-wl-2.6.27.5-117.fc10.i686-5.10.27.6-5.fc10.5.i686.rpm
    kmod-wl-5.10.27.6-5.fc10.5.i686.rpm
    broadcom-wl-5.10.27.6-3.fc10.noarch.rpm

In a terminal, cd to the download folder and
    Code:
    su- 
    rpm -ivh *rpm
    Presumably you don't need the kmod packages if you aren't using KDE, just the broadcom-wl package.

You will need to remove ndiswrapper from your modules or it will conflict.

Linux Guru
    kmod is the kernel module, and is needed. The other packages I presume are megapackages that include the things that aren't kernel specific.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Quote Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
    kmod is the kernel module, and is needed. The other packages I presume are megapackages that include the things that aren't kernel specific.
    Ahhh, I wasn't thinking. Arch Linux has KDEmod, for a modular KDE and it was on my brain. Thanks for the correction.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraphan View Post
    I installed the RPM Fusion and when I try to install the Broadcom driver with yum, it just tells me there are no packages for it.
    When you enabled the RPMFusion repository, did you use the command that is given at their web site? (as root)
    Code:
    su -c 'rpm -Uvh http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-stable.noarch.rpm http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-stable.noarch.rpm'
    Then it should install the driver with this command (again as root):
    Code:
    yum install broadcom-wl
    Here is what one of my systems looked like when I installed it.
    Code:
    yum install broadcom-wl
    Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit      
    Setting up Install Process
    Parsing package install arguments
    Resolving Dependencies
    --> Running transaction check
    ---> Package broadcom-wl.noarch 0:5.10.79.10-1.fc10 set to be updated
    --> Processing Dependency: wl-kmod >= 5.10.79.10 for package: broadcom-wl
    ---> Package kmod-wl.i686 0:5.10.79.10-2.fc10 set to be updated
    --> Processing Dependency: kmod-wl-2.6.27.21-170.2.56.fc10.i686 >= 5.10.79.10-2.fc10 for package: kmod-wl
    ---> Package kmod-wl-2.6.27.21-170.2.56.fc10.i686.i686 0:5.10.79.10-2.fc10 set to be updated
    --> Finished Dependency Resolution

Dependencies Resolved

========================================================================================================================================
     Package                                        Arch             Version                      Repository                           Size
    ========================================================================================================================================
    Installing:
     broadcom-wl                                    noarch           5.10.79.10-1.fc10            rpmfusion-nonfree-updates           9.1 k
    Installing for dependencies:
     kmod-wl                                        i686             5.10.79.10-2.fc10            rpmfusion-nonfree-updates           4.6 k
     kmod-wl-2.6.27.21-170.2.56.fc10.i686           i686             5.10.79.10-2.fc10            rpmfusion-nonfree-updates           632 k

Transaction Summary
    Install      3 Package(s)
    Update       0 Package(s)
    Remove       0 Package(s)

Total download size: 646 k
    Is this ok [y/N]:Y
    One thing to be aware of. I am using a custom realtime (rt) kernel, 2.6.29.2-1.rt11.1.fc10.ccrma.i686.rt, and it installed the modules for a different kernel. If you are using the stock kernel, you should be ok. Just double check the versions.

Just Joined!
    Ok, this is what I did. I reinstalled Fedora 10 (didn't have a lot on here, laptop became more of a learner), updated the kernel, yum, etc. Installed the RPM Fusion through the command line and got the driver. Everything is going smooth, was able to find my driver in the system-network and got it set up but I can't seem to turn it on. I tried to restart Network Manager and network and it's not picking it up. So short story: got the driver installed and set up but its not turning on.

Linux Guru
    Is there an on/off switch or on/off shortcut keys (Fn + Fx). Make sure that the wireless is on.

Just Joined!
    Lol, I can't believe I forgot about that. Its up and running now and after I get done reading this article I'll reboot and see if it connects again.

Edit: Rebooted and the wireless is still working. Thanks a lot Reed and Waterhead.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast