Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello. I've recently acquired a wireless router and plan to extend the signal of my network to other places in the vicinity. I was wondering if it was possible to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Setting up Wireless Router and Wireless Access Point using Linux

Hello. I've recently acquired a wireless router and plan to extend the signal of my network to other places in the vicinity. I was wondering if it was possible to do this extension using a wireless access point. If so, how should I configure both devices so that the router is the one hooked with the modem and the access point connects to the network created by the wireless router and extends the signal? I'm currently using Ubuntu 9.04 to access my wireless router.

Thanks in advance.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    What do you mean by "extend the signal of my network"? Most wireless access points are part of a router/gateway, though they can also be stand-alone devices that connect to a router/gateway. Please describe in more detail the hardware you want to use.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Linux Guru
    I use a wireless access point (Linksys WAP54G) that is hooked into my wired LAN. I set up the AP to assign itself a static IP address. Your wireless router should also have ports for wired LAN connections, so run a wire from there to the AP.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    What do you mean by "extend the signal of my network"? Most wireless access points are part of a router/gateway, though they can also be stand-alone devices that connect to a router/gateway. Please describe in more detail the hardware you want to use.
    Extend as in to reach the other side of the building. I've searched the definition of a wireless repeater which does what I need. Is it possible to convert the access point to a repeater?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by hapster View Post
    Extend as in to reach the other side of the building. I've searched the definition of a wireless repeater which does what I need. Is it possible to convert the access point to a repeater?
    The quick answer is, it depends. Some can, and some cannot be configured as a repeater. That said, I use a powerline ethernet device to link an AP to my router, which basically make it a network extender. The router is an AP as well, so it handles stuff near the router, and the other AP handles stuff further away. There is a device that plugs into the wall socket on either end of the connection, that provides well over 50mbps thruput.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    The quick answer is, it depends. Some can, and some cannot be configured as a repeater. That said, I use a powerline ethernet device to link an AP to my router, which basically make it a network extender. The router is an AP as well, so it handles stuff near the router, and the other AP handles stuff further away. There is a device that plugs into the wall socket on either end of the connection, that provides well over 50mbps thruput.
    Thanks for the advise.