Find the answer to your Linux question:
My wireless is not working after installing fedora 10 on my laptop. I need help pls...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Acer Aspire 5610z Issues

My wireless is not working after installing fedora 10 on my laptop. I need help pls

Linux Guru
    Hi, and welcome to Linux Forums!

To help you, we need some detailed information. Read through the post linked to below. It explains how to find this information. I do hope it is not to complex for you, but that info is needed.

Wireless Setup - Start Here

Please start a thread in the Wireless section. The Coffee Lounge is usually meant for off-topic posts.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Please tell us the make/model of your laptop, and for the wireless device you are using.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    The wireless is working now but cannot detect the wireless unless you config it (Acer Aspire 5610z, Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN)

Linux Guru
    If you would have just posted ALL of the information that we requested, helping you would be soooo much easier.

Even with the small amount of info you gave us, I can deduct this:

You are using the b43 driver
    This driver will not work properly until you install firmware for it.
    The firmware is considered proprietary, and not installed by default.
    No Fedora repository carries the firmware either, so you usually need to extract it from the source files following the instructions found HERE.

BUT WAIT! There is no need to extract the firmware. Fortunately for you I have already done that, and I repackaged it as a .rpm file for easy installation. You can download the file from here:

b43-firmware-4.150.10.5-0.noarch.rpm

You can install it using this command, after getting root privileges with the su command
    Code:
    rpm -ivh b43-firmware-4.150.10.5-0.noarch.rpm
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    So, waterhead has eliminated the need for you to download the b43-fwcutter application that extracts and installs the firmware files from the b43 drivers. Nice! So much simpler that! I'm going to download and archive the .rpm he provided for future use as well.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!