Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have installed RHEL 5 on my external HDD. It didn't detect my wireless by default so went to the source site and downloaded the source code called Code: ipw3945-1.2.0.tgz ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

problem installing wireless on RHEL 5

I have installed RHEL 5 on my external HDD. It didn't detect my wireless by default so went to the source site and downloaded the source code called
    Code:
    ipw3945-1.2.0.tgz
    uncompressed it and gave the command
    Code:
    make 
    and 
    make install
    But then I realised that it needed another package( ieee80211-1.2.16)which was supposed to be installed before this one. So I downloaded that one to and did the same thing but ended up with two errors . Now the problem is when I follow the proper sequence then too the same errors are being displayed. So is there a way out such that I can uninstall the modules which were installed by mistake and follow the correct sequence and get things working well.
    Only if I could understand the man pages
    Registered Linux user #492640

with "rmmod module_name" you uninstall the module you don't want. But you didn't inserted any modules so you just might need to move to the folder you unpacked the driver and "make uninstall".
    Linux is like a Teepee, No Windows, No Gates, Only Apache Inside!
    Arch Linux
    Linux user #442041

Linux Guru
    The current driver is called iwl3945 or just iwlagn. The RHEL kernel may be patched to include that driver, so look for it in the output of this command.
    Code:
    lsmod
    The Intel driver website has the driver listed as iwlwifi, so more name confusion! It has versions available for older kernels, as well as mac80211 versions. Remember to get the needed firmware too.

Intel® Wireless WiFi Link drivers for Linux*

Wireless on RHEL can sometimes be impossible to get working. If you don't really need RHEL, I suggest using Fedora 11 instead. Wireless works great in Fedora!
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    ya but my ethernet card doesn't work properly some fault is there. I try what you have suggested and let you know. Thanks

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I haven't tried wireless on my RHEL/CentOS system, but I suspect that you will need to use the ndiswrapper driver and use it to load the Windows XP driver and firmware for this device.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Also, if you are using WPA for wireless security, then you will also need wpa_supplicant, I think.

Nah, no need for ndiswrapper, the intel drivers should work flawlessly.
    Linux is like a Teepee, No Windows, No Gates, Only Apache Inside!
    Arch Linux
    Linux user #442041

Quote Originally Posted by valemon View Post
    Nah, no need for ndiswrapper, the intel drivers should work flawlessly.
    I'm not so sure that's the case with RHEL 5, though certainly true for newer kernels such as are on FC10-11 and Ubuntu 8.10 and 9.04.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    I'm not so sure that's the case with RHEL 5, though certainly true for newer kernels such as are on FC10-11 and Ubuntu 8.10 and 9.04.
    Hey I m using ubuntu I m not sure here this driver you have mentioned is present , can you please point out as I am a newbie on ubuntu

I checked in the installed application as well in add/remove application . In add/remove I did find the driver you had mentioned but its not installed and my wi-fi is working fine. I have iwl3945: Intel Wireless WiFi Link 3945ABG . Which one do you have??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast