Find the answer to your Linux question:
When I was using windows I was able to share music and video with other computers on our wireless network as well as stream videos from my computer to the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Wireless network file sharing

When I was using windows I was able to share music and video with other computers on our wireless network as well as stream videos from my computer to the xbox and ps3 in the house. Just wondering is it still possible to do this with linux? (mint 7) Are there any programs I could get that could possibly duplicate this feature?

Linux Guru
    To share files/folders on a Windows network you need to use Samba. You have to set up configuration files on each Linux PC.

As for streaming, you may want to look into the GStreamer framework, and the plugins created with it.

GStreamer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    GStreamer: open source multimedia framework
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Thanks I will check those out. I discovered I am able to see and access the shared folder on my housemates windows laptop. Not sure if he can access my media or if i can restrict access to my computer i.e. set up a public folder like windows.

On linux, if you want to comunicate on windows networks you need samba and winbind. after that juste take a look at:

Code:
    man samba

Linux Guru
    The hardest part to grasp will be the samba configuration file. It is called smb.conf, and should be in the /etc/samba folder.

The best thing to do is Google smb.conf for examples. I found a good one from Red Hat:

Samba Server Types and the smb.conf File

You can always add a section for certain folders that you may want to share.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Since you're using Mint, which is based on Ubuntu, pretty much any guide for Ubuntu will be applicable.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpSamba

Thanks for the advice guys. Much appreciated.