Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
i am trying to post the content of wireless setup file to you but i get this message " You are only allowed to post URLs to other sites after ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

i am trying to post the content of wireless setup file to you but i get this message " You are only allowed to post URLs to other sites after you have made 15 posts or more. " so what should i do in this case

Linux Guru
    First, surround it with "code" tags,by using the # sign at the top of the new message window. You also should click the "disable smilies in text" option, found below the new message window.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    still i am getting the same message so i am attaching the file
    Attached Files Attached Files

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Thank You.

This is your wireless.
    Code:
    0b:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN [14e4:4311] (rev 01)
    	Kernel driver in use: b43-pci-bridge
    	Kernel modules: ssb, wl
    As you can see, it says that it is using the ssb and wl drivers. Th ssb driver is used in conjunction with the b43 driver. The network driver modules that you have loaded are these:
    Code:
    Module                  Size  Used by
    b43                   131356  0 
    rfkill                 17176  2 rfkill_input,b43
    mac80211              216820  1 b43
    cfg80211               32392  1 mac80211
    led_class              12164  1 b43
    wl                   1076372  0 
    ieee80211_crypt        13572  1 wl
    b44                    35984  0 
    ohci1394               37936  0 
    mii                    13440  1 b44
    ssb                    40580  2 b43,b44
    You have two drivers loaded for the wireless, the b43 and the wl driver. This will cause the wireless to not function. In most cases the wl driver would be considered the better one to use, but in your case, you have another thing to consider.

The b43 module uses a helper module named ssb. The ssb module is also used by your wired connection driver b44. To use the wl wireless module you would need to remove the b43, b44 and ssb modules. This would make your wired connection non-functioning, ever.

So, the best thing to do is remove the wl module, install the firmware and use the b43 driver. If you ran the b43-fwcutter program earlier, and said yes when it asked to download and install the firmware, then you just need to do this.
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -r b43
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -r wl
    Code:
    sudo modprobe b43
    That should get your wireless to work. Let us know how things are, and if OK, we can make a more permanent fix.

EDIT: I see from the info in that you provided that the firmware isn't installed. Run this command:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter
    When it asks:"Download and install firmware?". Answer "Yes" (just press enter).
    Last edited by waterhead; 07-03-2009 at 06:59 AM.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Code:
    Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11b/g
    FYI: I have this exact same thing. I know for a fact that it works out of the box no problems in Ubuntu 9.04. It also works in Debian 5.0 and Fedora 11 with some tweaking.

I would say just upgrade your ubuntu.

Linux Guru
    The problem is that there are two drivers competing for the wireless. This can be fixed by removing one of the drivers, no upgade is needed.

Just Joined!
    thank you for your help , unfortunately the situation is the same . i will go to do clean install of ubuntu 9.04 then i will inform you tomorrow

Linux Guru
    Doing a "clean" install will most likely end in the same result. You need the ssb module for your wired internet connection. To use the wl module, you have to remove the ssb module. That is why you must remove the wl wireless module and use the b43 wireless module instead. To use the b43 module you must also install the needed firmware.

This is what you must do in order for both the wired and wireless connections to work. You will have the same problem on any other version of Ubuntu. Possibly using a different distro will give you better results. Try using Fedora 11, you will still need to install the firmware. You can download a .rpm file containing the firmware from here:

Linux Forums

There is one thing I didn't have you try. I recall there being a distinct order that the modules need to be loaded, but I don't recall the exact order. Try removing all of the effected modules first.

sudo modprobe -r wl
    sudo modprobe -r b44
    sudo modprobe -r b43
    sudo modprobe -r ssb

Then reload them:

sudo modprobe ssb
    sudo modprobe b43
    sudo modprobe b44

I hope that works.
    Last edited by waterhead; 07-04-2009 at 11:40 PM.

Just Joined!
    it didn't work , i am wondering why i am not able to manually figure ( or add ) a wired or wireless Internet without all these commands ... it is really a remarkable drawback for naive customers or end users as connectivity is their main primary endpoint ...
    thanks and i think it is time for ubuntu 9.04 unless you are gonna to you suggest something else ?

Linux Guru
    Try removing all of the network drivers, and only loading the wl driver.

sudo modprobe -r b44
    sudo modprobe -r b43
    sudo modprobe -r wl
    sudo modprobe -r ssb

Then load only the wl module

sudo modprobe wl

When manually unloading/loading modules, You can't reboot and expect it to work. rebooting will load the default modules. If you find a configuration that works, we can modify which drivers will load, and prevent some from loading entirely.

Try Ubuntu 9.04 as a LiveCD, and see what you get. Use the commands from this thread to diagnose it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast