Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
i had installed ubunto 8.10 along with my vista ultimate few days ago , unfortunately ubuntu is not able to detect my wireless network and i am not able to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy ubuntu is not detecting my network !!

i had installed ubunto 8.10 along with my vista ultimate few days ago , unfortunately ubuntu is not able to detect my wireless network and i am not able to edit a network and even i donít think that ubuntu had detected my wifi card of my dell inspiron 6400 ...i had followed the most of up mentioned Q&A about similar problem but it doesnít work plz help me as i am becoming very disappointed from this unfriendly OS ...

You should be more upset that the companies who make the hardware don't release drivers for linux, or the code so that linux developers can write their own drivers.

Anyway, we cannot help without knowing more about your wireless card. Read this and post the requested information.

Just Joined!
    on the other hand i believe that linux is not for (regular ) end users as it depends mostly on unfamiliar strange commands and this might be the reason why hardware makers don't consider linux in their codes and drivers as it is used mainly by few geeks ..
    i cant understand how windows and mac can automatically detect all hardwares while this is not the case with linux .....this is what will keep this OS far away from publics
    thank you sir for your prompt reply and i am really still motivated towards ubuntu at least till now but if this issue is not gonna to be be solved i have to give up.

I disagree, being a regular end user. As I've said many times, I have no particular knowledge or background in computers or tech of any sort, and I find linux to be much easier to use than Windows, despite over two decades of exclusive windows use before ever trying it. And I hate to tell you, but a clean windows install certainly does not detect all your hardware easy peasy. Manufacturers include disks with the drivers on them for windows, or you have to search all over the web for what you need.

In linux, if there is a driver for the hardware, it is almost always included in the kernel. But yes, there is hardware that isn't supported. Again, generally because the manufacturers don't support it. You're right that in part that is because the there is at least a perception that the user base isn't there to make it worth their while. Also, because of the quick evolving nature of linux, it can be hard to keep up with it. And because many times they don't want to open up their code, and many distros won't ship with non-free software.

As for giving up, as far as I can see, you haven't really tried yet. You didn't post anything we can use to help you, such as the chipset of your wireless card. I would wager you have a broadcom card of some sort, which is generally quite simple to get working. Though support for it is better in the new Ubuntu 9.04 than 8.10. If you decide to persevere, please follow the instructions in the link I posted and give us the info we need to help. If not, that's ok too.

Just Joined!
    So as you know I am naive with ubunto PLZ tell me what to do to diagnose this problem in order to fix it ...waiting for your reply and thanks in advance

We can't help without knowing what sort of wireless card you have.

You'll see in the wireless internet section of the forum, there is a sticky titled Wireless Setup - Start Here

It will explain how to find out all the information we need to help figure out the problem. You need to read that and post the information here.

Just Joined!
    this is my built-in wifi adaptor b43-fwcutter
    what is the next step..?

b43-fwcutter is a program for extracting the necessary firmware from a windows driver. If you can get wired access for a minute, all you need to do is open a terminal (Applications->Terminal) and type
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter
    It will download the program and prompt you to download and install the firmware as well.

You may need to do
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    before the above command.

(This can be accomplished without using the command line as well, but it's easier to explain and this way you can cut and paste the commands if necessary.)

Your wireless should now be working, assuming you do indeed have a broadcom bcm43xx card.

Linux Guru
    You still haven't provided the information that reed9 asked for. Without this information we can only guess at what it will take to get your card working.

If all of the strange Linux commands put you off, you can just run a script that I made. It will put all of the information in a text file, which you can then copy to this thread.

First, download this file and save it as WirelessSetup (remove the .txt extension)

WirelessSetup.txt

Save it to your home folder. Then you need to make it executable, kind of like a windows .exe file (but not really).
    Code:
    chmod +x ~/WirelessSetup
    Then run the script with this command.
    Code:
    ./WirelessSetup
    It will create a file named wireless_setup.txt in your home folder. It can be opened with any text editor, even in windows. Post the contents of that file here.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    sorry sirs for confusion i think the wright one is F5D7000au
    the problem is i am not able to be online even with my LAN cable !
    i will try to follow your recommendations after return from job
    thanks foe being patient with me
    drwolf

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast