Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Wireless setup

Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Thank you, that helps.

According to this site HERE, that driver has been in the kernel since version 2.6.12. What kernel version are you using? Use this command to find out.
    Code:
    uname -r
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    I get 2.6.21.7

You should have it working then. Post the output of this command:
    Code:
    iwconfig
    Also, try this command:
    Code:
    iwlist scan
    You may need to install the wireless-tools package, or what ever Puppy calls it.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    That returns

# iwconfig
    lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

rausb0 RT2500USB WLAN
    Link Quality:0 Signal level:136 Noise level:113
    Rx invalid nwid:0 invalid crypt:0 invalid misc:0

# iwlist scan
    lo Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

rausb0 Interface doesn't support scanning

It looks like it is using the proprietary Ralink rt2500usb driver. Nothing wrong with that, it just appears that it still needs to be configured. I don't know how Puppy goes about doing this, but you may gain some info by reading the documentation for the driver. You can get that by downloading the driver source from Ralink:

Ralink Technology: Linux

Read through the readme and iwpriv_usage files. There is mention of using the RaConfig2500 program to configure the wireless.

Just Joined!
    this prob seems like a really dumb question..............

i have downloaded the source code from the link u gave me. When downloaded, it opens the file in xarchive, what do i do with it after that? I cant appear to read the documents here

Hmm, I noticed that the most recent version of the puppy linux manual has the rt2570 usb in their example screenshots, so it seems like it should definitely work out of the box. Have you read the puppy manual and gone through the normal configuration process?

Just Joined!
    ive gone through the normal config process, i.e using the network wizard. It finds the usb device fine but when i test the device or scan for networks it slows everything right down and then crashes.....any ideas?