Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have been working on the wireless for a while and I have ran into a problem that I am just confused with. I found the appropriate driver on the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

problem installing driver

I have been working on the wireless for a while and I have ran into a problem that I am just confused with. I found the appropriate driver on the linux forums. I saved then extracted the file to my /lib/firmware/ folder as most of the forums suggested. When I went to install the driver the following errors are displayed:

[root@localhost admin-user]# tar xjf /lib/firmware/hybrid-portsrc-x86_64-v5_10_91_9
    tar: /lib/firmware/hybrid-portsrc-x86_64-v5_10_91_9: Cannot read: Is a directory
    tar: At beginning of tape, quitting now
    tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

bzip2: Compressed file ends unexpectedly;
    perhaps it is corrupted? *Possible* reason follows.
    bzip2: Invalid argument
    Input file = (stdin), output file = (stdout)

It is possible that the compressed file(s) have become corrupted.
    You can use the -tvv option to test integrity of such files.

You can use the `bzip2recover' program to attempt to recover
    data from undamaged sections of corrupted files.

tar: Child returned status 2
    tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors

Linux Guru
    Welcome to LinuxForums.org!

Your post had nothing to do with the thread that you posted it in, so I moved it to it's own thread. It is against the forum rules to tack your request for help to someone else's thread, especially when it is not relevant.

Now to address your problem. You don't appear to be doing anything correctly, so STOP NOW! You should NEVER compile a driver in the /lib/firmware folder. That should be done in your home folder.

The Linux kernel contains many wireless drivers, so you may not need to install a driver. But we need to know more detailed system information before we can offer any assistance. The post linked to below describes the information needed, and how to find it.

Wireless Setup - Start Here

When you supply the needed info, we can then tell you what direction you should proceed in. The name and version of the distro that you are using would be helpful too.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.