Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello friends I am having an issue with wireless connection, using arch linux. I can get connected to the router, I get an internal ip but I cannot access the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Can't browse the internet

Hello friends

I am having an issue with wireless connection, using arch linux. I can get connected to the router, I get an internal ip but I cannot access the internet. Ping google outputs "connect : network unreachable" .
    Code:
    dmesg | grep ra0
    outputs
    ra0: no IPv6 routers present
    Using windows I can get connected without problem. Any suggestion??
    Linux is like a Teepee, No Windows, No Gates, Only Apache Inside!
    Arch Linux
    Linux user #442041

Have you disabled IPv6 and tried? In Arch I guess its under /etc/rc.conf?
    A candle looses nothing by lighting other candles. - Khalil Zibran.
    Registered Linux User #490076

I don't know of instances where loading the ipv6 module blocks internet access...usually it just slows it down, since it tries to get a ipv6 address first.

To prevent ipv6, I add to /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf
    Code:
    install ipv6 /bin/true
    Just to make sure that the module absolutely will not load.

Can you tell us more about your configuration? What program are you using to connect to the network? Are you using WEP or WPA encryption?

ra0 I think indicates you have a ralink card, right? Which driver are you using? Some ralinks require an extra firmware package, did you install that? What is the output of
    Code:
    dmesg | grep firmware
    Wireless Setup - ArchWiki

Just Joined!
    Are you sure it is actually a problem with your wireless card. When you say that you can get an inside address i assume you mean that you recieve a local address. This means that you should be able to ping the router correct? If you can do this then it seems like it might be more of a dns problem then an actual wireless problem. What does your ifconfig / route / resolv.conf stuff look like.

So, some more information. I can generally connect and browse the internet with any router, my home router for example.
    The problem is that now I am in vacations and I cant get connected. The router has no encryption, I get a local ip, I can ping the router, but I cant ping anything else.
    Route seems like
    Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
    192.168.1.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 2 0 0 ra0
    Routers ip is 129.168.1
    Thanks for your help so far
    Arch Linux
    Linux user #442041

Just Joined!
    First off the ip that you told me is not long enough. So you should repost that. But looking at your route command it looks like you have a static address probably for your wireless card in the 192.168.1.0 /24 network. This would work if you were on someones home network. But the routers ip is not in that network. So you need to do one of two things. Change your static IP to something in the range. This depends on what the subnet mask is for that router. Or you need to set your ra0 interface to get dhcp. That is what I believe but I would also like to see what your ifconfig and the routers actual ip is and its subnet mask before making to many assumptions.

Agreed, DHCP is probably the way to go for connecting to public networks.

Depending what method you're using to connect to the internet, there are a couple of ways to achieve this in Arch.

If you're using netcfg, you need to set up a network profile, and either run netcfg (as root) manually, or add it to your daemons array in /etc/rc.conf. Also remove or comment out the network daemon from your array.

For WICD or networkmanager, comment out the network daemon from your array and add wicd or networkmanager as appropriate.

In all cases, unless you are manually connecting to the network using iwconfig and dhcpcd, you should not initialize your network interfaces in /etc/rc.conf. You can do this by adding an exclamation point (!) in front of the interfaces and gateway.

Code:
    # -----------------------------------------------------------------------

# 
    # DHCP:     Set your interface to "dhcp" (eth0="dhcp")
    # Wireless: See network profiles below
    #
    eth0="eth0 192.168.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.0.255"
    INTERFACES=(!eth0)

# Routes to start at boot-up (in this order)
    # Declare each route then list in ROUTES
    #   - prefix an entry in ROUTES with a ! to disable it
    #
    gateway="default gw 192.168.0.1"
    ROUTES=(!gateway)

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng !network wicd netfs crond)

dhcp was enabled for ra0. I just had to change the default gateway. Thanks you all for your help.
    Arch Linux
    Linux user #442041