Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
When I used modprobe, it gave me this WARNING: Deprecated config file /etc/modprobe.conf, all config files belong into /etc/modprobe.d/. FATAL: Module rtl8187se not found....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

When I used modprobe, it gave me this
    WARNING: Deprecated config file /etc/modprobe.conf, all config files belong into /etc/modprobe.d/.
    FATAL: Module rtl8187se not found.

Linux Guru
    Did it do an update, maybe a new kernel? Have you looked at the files mentioned in the error to see what it is talking about?

When you reinstalled the driver, did you download it fresh? If you used the old driver files, did you do a make clean command before you re-compiled it?
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    No, I'm fairly sure it did not update.

As for the directories it mentioned, /etc/modprobe.conf doesn't exist, and /etc/modprobe.d just contains .conf files.

And I'm pretty sure I downloaded it fresh, all I did was download the file you provided, and followed the readme instructions. There was no wlan driver installed

Linux Guru
    Run this command, then try to load the module again.
    Code:
    depmod -a
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    I got the same Error.

Am I doing this right? I ran 'depmod -a' and then did 'modprobe rtl8187se'

Linux Guru
    Does the module exist in the correct /lib/module/<kernel version>/kernel/drivers/net/wireless?

There may be a version in the /lib/module/<kernel version>/kernel/drivers/staging folder. That is not the one that you installed, but a test version that came with the kernel.

You can look for it with this command.
    Code:
    locate rtl8187se.ko
    It is possible a newly created module won't be found by the locate command. First run the updatedb command, as root.
    Code:
    updatedb

Just Joined!
    I ran the 'updatedb', then tried to locate it, but it did not find anthing.

I checked the first directory you mentioned, and there were RTL8180 and RTL8187 folders but none for RTL8187SE.

Linux Guru
    I suspect the first time that you installed the driver, you loaded the module from the folder that you compiled it in. Look in that folder for the rtl8187se.ko module. Also look in the staging folder, that I mentioned before.

Otherwise, I can't tell why it seemed to install originally, then disappear. If you have more than one kernel, then you could have been running it from another kernel.

Just Joined!
    I checked the folder, and there are several .ko files, but none of them are RTL8187SE.ko.0

The staging folder had only one folder in it that was named at76_usb

But I may have been running it from another kernel, because in the /lib/modules folder, I noticed that in addition to the folder that's usually there (2.6.29.6-213)there was another folder (2.6.29.4-167).

If that were the case, what could I do?

Linux Guru
    Is the module in that kernel? There is no sense trying to boot that kernel if the module isn't there either.

I still don't know why you can't seem to compile the driver for your current kernel. The make install command should take care of that.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast