Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am new to Linux and have just received my new dual boot Kubuntu 9.04 / XP laptop. I can connect to my Belkin wireless router with XP, but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wireless internet connection problem

Hi,

I am new to Linux and have just received my new dual boot Kubuntu 9.04 / XP laptop. I can connect to my Belkin wireless router with XP, but not with Kubuntu.

I have followed the instructions on the sticky on wireless setup.

Attached is the wireless_setup.txt output file and results for iwlist scan

Thanks,

Jesse
    Attached Files Attached Files

Well, everything looks fine from what you posted. I assume WLAN is the name of your wireless network?

What encryption are you using? WPA, WEP?

It seems a lot of people have trouble connection with networkmanager. I would try using WICD instead and see if that helps.

wicd - download

Linux Guru
    Yes, I recommend using Wicd too. You should be able to install it using the Kubuntu package manager, Adept.

Sometimes I recommend installing the latest wireless drivers, but for my Atheros wireless it made it worse. My wireless is using the ath9k driver, like yours is.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Righto, newb alert...

I have no idea what encryption I am using, nor do I no what wcid is. I have downloaded a file called:

wicd_1.5.9-2_all.deb

I tried installing it with Adept, (a package manager?). But I could not find this file in any list of applicationsin Adept, nor was there a browse function to find the .deb file.

How do I find out what encryption I am using and how do I install wcid using Adept?

Yours in blissful ignorance,

Jesse

WICD is a wireless connection manager, and often works better than the default connection manager in Kubuntu/Ubuntu.

Starting with 9.04, it should be in the Ubuntu repositories. Make sure you have the Universe section enabled. More info on repos: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu

It looks like the file you downloaded is from the Ubuntu site? So you're just kinda doing it the round-a-bout way. You should just be able to double click on the file to open an installer for it, but otherwise, from the command line
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i /path/to/wicd_1.5.9-2_all.deb
    Replacing the /path/to with the actual path to your file.