Find the answer to your Linux question:
my only problem is my wifi is no longer operational since i flipped the laptop from gates xp pro to penguin poweeeeeeeeeeeeer (ubuntu). i found out that its a very ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Banging Head Due to 4306 Wireless

my only problem is my wifi is no longer operational since i flipped the laptop from gates xp pro to penguin poweeeeeeeeeeeeer (ubuntu). i found out that its a very common problem but when it comes to commands and the"how to" of things i am at the state of "deer staring at headlamps". i have not been sitting on my butt and hope of better days though thats just not me so i did some digging and messed with terminal commands and managed to find out that:

lo no wireless extentions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wmaster0 no wireless extensions.

wlan IEEE 802.11b/g ESSID:""
    Mode: Managed Frequecy: 2.412 Ghz Access Point: Not -Associated
    Tx-Power=20 dBm
    Retry min Limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr: 2352 B
    Power Management:off
    Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 invalid misc:0 missed beacon:0

pan0 no wireless extensions.

lo interface doesnt support scanning.

eth0 interface doesnt support scanning.

wmaster0 interface doesnt support scanning.

wlan0 interface doesnt support scanning: Network is down

pan0 interface doesnt support scanning.

what should i be doing? am i in the right track ohhh master?
    fyi my laptop is an HP ZE4900 intel celeron m that had xp on it.
    card: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g wireless lan controller (rev 3)

this has always worked like a dream but as i got ubuntu on it didnt come back up again. i have verizon around the house thats wifi. so no cables running its wep/wpa connection i believe.

truly sorry to bombard you like this but i, who is a little grasshopper shall learn and become a master penguin............but first me need wifi.

Linux Guru
    Hi, and welcome to Linux Forums.

I moved your post to a thread of it's own. It is against the Forum Rules to use another members thread for your help request. Please read the rules.

To make absolutely sure what I am working with, I would like you to post more detailed information. Read through the post linked to below, and provide the information that it descibes how to find.

Wireless Setup - Start Here

You most likely need firmware installed. The easiest way is to install it from Ubuntu repositories. You will need a wired internet connection to do this.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Hi and welcome to the forums.

Try the suggestions on this page. Post back if you have any problems.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    There actually is a firmware deb package that can downloaded and manually installed. I was waiting for the detailed info to confirm that this is what is needed.

http://au.ubuntu.cafuego.net/pool/ja...fuego1_all.deb
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.