Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
If you really want to learn Red Hat/CentOS, then compiling a driver module is something you should learn. And, like I said, it really isn't that hard. If you Want ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

If you really want to learn Red Hat/CentOS, then compiling a driver module is something you should learn. And, like I said, it really isn't that hard.

If you Want Fedora, it dropped the "Core" from it's name long ago. Look under the /releases folder.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Quote Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
    If you really want to learn Red Hat/CentOS, then compiling a driver module is something you should learn. And, like I said, it really isn't that hard.

If you Want Fedora, it dropped the "Core" from it's name long ago. Look under the /releases folder.

Oh thank you! I found the ISO's.

When you say compile drivers, is that the same thing as compiling applications such as Apache and MYSQL? That I do manually all the time like:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql blah blah blah

Linux Guru
    Yes, it is similar. To compile a kernel module you will need the kernel source and kernel headers installed.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Here are some wireless chipsets that are known to work with CentOS
    HowTos/Laptops/Wireless - CentOS Wiki

And this list of pci devices and which drivers they use should help you locate one for purchase.
    PCI - Linux Wireless

Here's what rocky suggested:

Newegg.com - Rosewill RNX-G300LX IEEE 802.11b/g PCI Wireless Card Up to 54Mbps Data Rates 64/128-Bit WEP, 802.1x, WPA, WPA2, AES, TKIP with 2 dBi Antenna - Wireless Adapters

For $20 it's worth it since I'm not looking for anything special. I'll go ahead and order it now, was going to last night but got lazy.

Hopefully it's plug and play, if not, I'll have some questions for you guys about compiling the kernel or what it takes to make it work.

I will make sure that when I build my CentOS on my workstation, that I include the kernel source.

The card is: RaLink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI

The wiki above says CentOS supports:

Ralink RT73/RT2500 USB Wireless LAN (rt73usb/rt2500usb)

Nothing about the PCI though, but based on Newegg reviews, a lot of people have gotten it to work on many linux distributions.

I don't think that card is plugnplay for CentOS. The rt73usb is a totally different chipset and driver. Google around first and see what people say about the rt61 driver in centos.

I googled a bit and as far as I can see, you will have to compile the driver for this card. The good thing is that it looks like it should work with CentOS and Ralink has the code readily available for download.

Ralink Technology: Linux

Quote Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
    I don't think that card is plugnplay for CentOS. The rt73usb is a totally different chipset and driver. Google around first and see what people say about the rt61 driver in centos.
    All the reviews were linux dist. other than CentOS. LOL.

I looked at the PCI wireless link that you sent me and it listed the Linksys WMP54G as a compatible card. My local Best Buy has it for $45 in which I can run down and get it right now, it's in stock.

But I've seen a lot of people frustrated with getting it to work.

I COULD just go for it, buy it and pray I have the patience to figure it out...

Quote Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
    I googled a bit and as far as I can see, you will have to compile the driver for this card. The good thing is that it looks like it should work with CentOS and Ralink has the code readily available for download.

Ralink Technology: Linux
    ohh!! love it!

Is Linksys using Ralink? If so, I can get the $45 card as posted above today and start playing with it...

EDIT: Ok it appears Linksys is using ralink, perhaps I will get this card today and start building my CentOS....

I would recommend something with an intel wireless chipset. All you need to do is install the firmware and you're in business. (And some distros with less strict policies on non-free software have it working out of the box.)

Amazon.com: Intel Pro/wireless 3945ABG Network Connection - Network Adapter - Mini-pci Expre: Electronics

EDIT: This is a mini-pci card. I was under the impression you had a laptop, but I'm not sure if that was correct.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast