Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
    I would recommend something with an intel wireless chipset. All you need to do is install the firmware and you're in business. (And some distros with less strict policies on non-free software have it working out of the box.)

Amazon.com: Intel Pro/wireless 3945ABG Network Connection - Network Adapter - Mini-pci Expre: Electronics

Thanks reed, I did see this in my search, I'm not too familiar with this mini-PCI stuff? I thought this was specific to laptops? I guess not?

I think I do have a mini-PCI card in my workstation. The bay orders are:

PCI-E
    mini-PCI??
    PCI
    PCI

Looking at the picture, it looks like it would fit in my 2nd slot under the PCI-E....

Do I just plug it in like any other normal card?

EDIT: I am going to take a picture and try to show you my motherboard.

Ok attached is my MB.

Is the mini-PCI right underneath the blue PCI-E?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm not sure from the picture. I would see if you can find some documentation for you motherboard and see what it says.

There are also converters to use mini-pci cards in regular pci slots.

There should be some regular pci or pci express cards that will work well with CentOS as well. I'll look around and see if I can find anything.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Doesn't look like that's a mini-PCI slot. According to the specs on my motherboard which is an ABIT IP-95.

2 Memory ( 1.8 V ) - DIMM 240-pin ,
    2 Memory ( 2.5 V ) - DIMM 184-pin ,
    1 PCI Express x16 ,
    1 Processor - LGA775 Socket ,
    1 PCI Express x1 ,
    2 PCI

I don't see anything there that shows mini-PCI.

I don't know what PCI Express x1 is though?

Jeez, it's hard to find regular pci/pci-express wireless cards that work out of the box on CentOS.

The D-Link 1320 uses an atheros chipset (AR5005). It looks like the madwifi drivers support it. The centos wireless link I posted before has info on install madwifi. It seems easy enough, just enable the RPMforge repos and install.

You may need to blacklist the ath5k driver as well.

Newegg.com - D-Link WDA-1320 IEEE 802.11b/g 32-bit PCI Wireless G Desktop Adapter Up to 54Mbps Data Rates 64/128-bit WEP Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA) - Wireless Adapters

Seb's Personal Home Page

PCI Express x1 just means you have 1 pci-express slot.

Jeez, it's hard to find regular pci/pci-express wireless cards that work out of the box on CentOS.

The D-Link 1320 uses an atheros chipset (AR5005). It looks like the madwifi drivers support it. The centos wireless link I posted before has info on install madwifi. It seems easy enough, just enable the RPMforge repos and install.

You may need to blacklist the ath5k driver as well.

Newegg.com - D-Link WDA-1320 IEEE 802.11b/g 32-bit PCI Wireless G Desktop Adapter Up to 54Mbps Data Rates 64/128-bit WEP
    Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA) - Wireless Adapters

Seb's Personal Home Page

PCI Express x1 just means you have 1 pci-express slot.
    Yeah it's a PIA!

But the spec shows PCI-express x16 and PCI-express x1?

I know the blue slot I have is the PCI-express x16.

Ok so here's what I found:

A single PCIe 1.1 lane is capable of 250MB/s (less overhead for transmission protocols), so a x16 slot can do ~4GB/s PCIe 2.0 doubles this .

I suppose I should just order this DLINK card and follow the instructions per Seb? In order for me to get any good at linux I guess I gotta be in the trenches eh?

But the spec shows PCI-express x16 and PCI-express x1?

I know the blue slot I have is the PCI-express x16.
    Whoops, you're very right. I wasn't paying close attention. Here's more info about that.
    PCI Express - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I included the instructions on Sed's page for reference and help with setting up wireless once you've had the driver's installed. The first solution he mentions is also using a 3rd party repo (ATrpms in this case) to get the madwifi drivers, and then he goes on to build them from source. Not to say you won't have to get in the trenches with CentOS - I think by definition, using enterprise linux means you'll need to get your hands dirty - but in this case, it should be as easy as enabling the right 3rd party repo and doing a yum install madwifi.

Also, you don't have to manage your connection from the command line, as he does. I recommend using WICD to manage your connections, and if you are working without a GUI ever, WICD includes a console ncurses interface from the 1.6 release on.
    Index of /pkgs/stable/1.6.x/1.6.2/CentOS_5

LinuxPlanet - Tutorials - Linux Wi-Fi Works With wicd - wicd Linux Wireless

Whoops, you're very right. I wasn't paying close attention. Here's more info about that.
    PCI Express - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I included the instructions on Sed's page for reference and help with setting up wireless once you've had the driver's installed. The first solution he mentions is also using a 3rd party repo (ATrpms in this case) to get the madwifi drivers, and then he goes on to build them from source. Not to say you won't have to get in the trenches with CentOS - I think by definition, using enterprise linux means you'll need to get your hands dirty - but in this case, it should be as easy as enabling the right 3rd party repo and doing a yum install madwifi.

Also, you don't have to manage your connection from the command line, as he does. I recommend using WICD to manage your connections, and if you are working without a GUI ever, WICD includes a console ncurses interface from the 1.6 release on.
    Index of /pkgs/stable/1.6.x/1.6.2/CentOS_5

LinuxPlanet - Tutorials - Linux Wi-Fi Works With wicd - wicd Linux Wireless

Thank you! I have already ordered the card. So by early next week I can get my hands dirty. I will probably build the CentOS today and then plug the card in afterwards and try to see if the OS can detect it.

I personally like to do command line everything. I am quite new to X Windows which is why I was kinda bothered by the way it looks. (gnome 2.16)

I will play with WICD though and try to become competent in X Windows, just so that I know my way around.

I'm sure you'll be hearing from me next week! haha!

Most desktops won't have a miniPCI or miniPCI express slot. I have a miniPCI express slot in my Zotac mobo.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

It is the wireless card with the wire sticking out of it
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.