Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Originally Posted by waterhead Most desktops won't have a miniPCI or miniPCI express slot. I have a miniPCI express slot in my Zotac mobo. Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
    Most desktops won't have a miniPCI or miniPCI express slot. I have a miniPCI express slot in my Zotac mobo.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

It is the wireless card with the wire sticking out of it
    Nice! Never knew that existed.

You know what would be nice is if there were all-in-one PC's that we could build and put linux on just for kicks....

Linux Guru
    There are, usually called "Barebones" systems. But they usually are lacking a CPU, memory and hard drive.

That Zotac board that I linked to needed memory, a hard drive and a case. There is an ASRock that has almost everything.

Newegg.com - ASRock ION 330 NVIDIA ION 2 x 240Pin NVIDIA ION graphics Black Barebone - Barebone Systems

There is a site that features all of the newest hardware that has the new nVidia ION chipset. Check it out:

LinuxTECH.NET - Overview of all available Nvidia Ion Products (Motherboards, PCs, Netbooks)
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Quote Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
    There are, usually called "Barebones" systems. But they usually are lacking a CPU, memory and hard drive.

That Zotac board that I linked to needed memory, a hard drive and a case. There is an ASRock that has almost everything.

Newegg.com - ASRock ION 330 NVIDIA ION 2 x 240Pin NVIDIA ION graphics Black Barebone - Barebone Systems

There is a site that features all of the newest hardware that has the new nVidia ION chipset. Check it out:

LinuxTECH.NET - Overview of all available Nvidia Ion Products (Motherboards, PCs, Netbooks)

My bad. What I meant about all-in-one's were those devices that include monitor too like the iMac or HP's all-in-one PC's.

I kinda like not having all that clutter of wires and separate "objects" all over the place.

Of course for power users they are not good, but for your average person surfing the web/checking mail they are fantastic.

Also, i really feel we're beginning to get to the point now that the power of PC's exceeds what we really need from the CPU's.

Back in the days, I used to build my own boxes and would offer to do the same for friends. But at this point, I have a hard time seeing my friends exceed a dual core processor, you know what I mean? They are just so fast now...

It's just not even worth it anymore. A buddy got a Dell all-in-one PC for about $1,000 and it's awesome!! Eventhough I'm not a dell fan....

Ok I'll stop rambling...

Guys,

I just wanted to let you know that I ordered that wireless card YESTERDAY! Proof just read a couple of posts up.

I ordered regular shipping from Newegg and low and behold, it arrived just now!

How is that even remotely POSSIBLE???

I didn't even choose overnight, it was suppose to come early NEXT WEEK.

I am COMPLETELY mind boggled but very excited at the same time.

Has anyone ever encountered something like this? Amazing!!!

I must now send Newegg a personal email now, this is FANTASTIC service!

Gotta love newegg. I've had that experience with them before as well. They're excellent at processing orders at incredible speed and if the warehouse is close to you, bam, it's right there. Hopefully your setup goes well!

Quote Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
    Gotta love newegg. I've had that experience with them before as well. They're excellent at processing orders at incredible speed and if the warehouse is close to you, bam, it's right there. Hopefully your setup goes well!
    You'll get a kick out of this.

I just got an email from Newegg with UPS tracking info! LOL.

The package itself beat the email!

I downloaded the latest Madwifi. Extracted the file and I'm suppose to run MAKE and MAKE INSTALL. For whatever reason I'm getting this error. I've never had issues running MAKE before? Thoughts?

Code:
    [root@localhost madwifi-0.9.4]# make
    /bin/sh: line 0: cd: /lib/modules/2.6.18-92.el5/build: No such file or directory
    Makefile.inc:66: *** /lib/modules/2.6.18-92.el5/build is missing, please set KERNELPATH.  Stop.

I'm afraid it's rare that I build anything from source. But really, it's much preferable to use a package whenever possible, for a variety of reasons. (Not the least of which is that installing from source means the package isn't tracked by your package manager, making removal or upgrading a challenge sometimes, and you can end up with conflicts.)

I would just use the rpms that are available.
    ATrpms - by Distribution > Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 > madwifi

Quote Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
    I'm afraid it's rare that I build anything from source. But really, it's much preferable to use a package whenever possible, for a variety of reasons. (Not the least of which is that installing from source means the package isn't tracked by your package manager, making removal or upgrading a challenge sometimes, and you can end up with conflicts.)

I would just use the rpms that are available.
    ATrpms - by Distribution > Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 > madwifi
    Thanks Reed:

This is going to sound dumb, but I installed the RPM and now what?

Code:
    [root@localhost ~]# rpm -ivh madwifi-devel-0.9.4.1-44_r4073.el5.i386.rpm 
    warning: madwifi-devel-0.9.4.1-44_r4073.el5.i386.rpm: Header V4 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 66534c2b
    Preparing...                ########################################### [100%]
       1:madwifi-devel          ########################################### [100%]

My bad, I see that I have to create a file called: ifcfg_ath0

So let me go do that....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast