Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Ok, I have read the last 5-6 pages on wireless cards with CentOS. The consensus is that yes, this is mainly meant for server operations, which is why I need ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Should I give up?

Ok, I have read the last 5-6 pages on wireless cards with CentOS.

The consensus is that yes, this is mainly meant for server operations, which is why I need to know it since I hope to be doing this kind of work in the near future. So it makes sense that support for wireless cards, specifically PCI, is not high on the list.

The problem is that my wireless router is in another room which is also connected to the cable modem and phone, so it's not easy for me to bring everything over to my room. I'd like to try to get wireless working if possible. I know in a lot of threads, users ask for some info because other users need help getting their wireless card to work on CentOS!

My question is, I don't have a wireless card and I am ready to go out and buy WHATEVER vendor that is known to work for CentOS.

So here it goes, does anyone KNOW of any card that works out of the box? I will buy it immediately!!??

Also, I am not doing anything special at home, just WEP. No WMA or WMA2 or whatever the latest stuff is. Just the old school WEP.

Thanks!

PS: Worse case, I'd have to bring everything over into my room so I can just use the regular ETH0 lan card that's in the PC. But I'd like to try the wireless route if possible!?

I don't run CentOS. But I do know that Linux in general has good support for raylink and Atheros chips on Wireless G cards. So keep that in mind, i guess when looking for a card. I have had good luck with out of the box installs of Linux with this card I bought for my Desktop below. Hooked right up with no config. And it is cheap.

Newegg.com - Rosewill RNX-G300LX IEEE 802.11b/g PCI Wireless Card Up to 54Mbps Data Rates 64/128-Bit WEP, 802.1x, WPA, WPA2, AES, TKIP with 2 dBi Antenna - Wireless Adapters
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    I don't run CentOS. But I do know that Linux in general has good support for raylink and Atheros chips on Wireless G cards. So keep that in mind, i guess when looking for a card. I have had good luck with out of the box installs of Linux with this card I bought for my Desktop below. Hooked right up with no config. And it is cheap.

Newegg.com - Rosewill RNX-G300LX IEEE 802.11b/g PCI Wireless Card Up to 54Mbps Data Rates 64/128-Bit WEP, 802.1x, WPA, WPA2, AES, TKIP with 2 dBi Antenna - Wireless Adapters

Fantastic!! I will take a look. And yes I do have a newegg account!

Thank you!

Read all the Linux reviews. I don't run Vista either so I could care less about their reviews.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

I should mention that I have used this card successfully with
    Puppy 4.2
    AntiX 8.0 &8.2
    Ubuntu (any animal)
    Mint (Gnome and Fluxbox releases)

Edit: I forgot, also
    Debian Etch (I switched to AntiX because it is a little more on the edge of Debian)
    Zenwalk
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

I should mention that I have used this card successfully with
    Puppy 4.2
    AntiX 8.0 &8.2
    Ubuntu (any animal)
    Mint (Gnome and Fluxbox releases)
    Over 300+ reviews!!

I am skimming through it trying to look for linux users. It does seem the card has problems with Vista 64-bit but that's not my problem nor will I be using it for Vista.

I hope it works for Redhat/CentOS/Scientific Linux distributions.

Is this using the athero's chipset?

You can edit search at Newegg to just ive you Linux reviews.

Mine has a ralink chipset and uses the rt61 driver which is in most all linux kernels that I know of. The one I showed you should have a ralink chipset in it.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

You can edit search at Newegg to just ive you Linux reviews.

Mine has a ralink chipset and uses the rt61 driver which is in most all linux kernels that I know of. The one I showed you should have a ralink chipset in it.
    Thanks again, will order it now!

Linux Guru
    CentOS 5.3 is using a 2.6.18 version kernel. That is the main problem when trying to install wifi drivers. Most can only be compiled on 2.6.22 or newer.

I have been able to compile the MadWifi driver on Red Hat 5.3, and that driver is for Atheros wireless chips.

Just be aware, you will most likely have to compile the driver from source. It isn't so hard, after you have done it a few times.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Quote Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
    CentOS 5.3 is using a 2.6.18 version kernel. That is the main problem when trying to install wifi drivers. Most can only be compiled on 2.6.22 or newer.

I have been able to compile the MadWifi driver on Red Hat 5.3, and that driver is for Atheros wireless chips.

Just be aware, you will most likely have to compile the driver from source. It isn't so hard, after you have done it a few times.

The wireless card above seems to work for Fedora 8+, since CentOS 5.3 is more like Fedora 6, I probably will have to do some manual work which I really don't want to.

I am thinking about just d/l Fedora 11.

But I feel kind of dumb, when I went to a mirror for Fedora 11, I didn't see any ISO's to download?

Index of /fedora/linux/

When I go to the above link, I then click on CORE directory and I see 1 - 6. But the only thing in them are README files?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast