Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I'm new to linux and have been trying for a while to get my wireless card working, It's an asus 802.11g card, chipset is ralink rt2500. Mobo is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Damn small linux & rt2500

Hi all,
    I'm new to linux and have been trying for a while to get my wireless card working, It's an asus 802.11g card, chipset is ralink rt2500.
    Mobo is asus A8v delux
    I've looked on plenty of forums but as yet havent managed to get it to do anything, I'm useing dsl, first I carnt get "wlconfig" to detect my card, I have found it in "lspci" but dont know what to do next, I've also dowloaded what I think to be the correct driver for it but again, dont know how to retrieve it from my usb flash card but have located it useing "lsusb".
    any help would be great.

The driver you downloaded is compatible with Damn Small Linux 2.4 Kernel?

I ran DSL and ended up having to run AntiX instead to get my wireless going. It has the 2.6.27 kernel which has good support for wireless and is a low resource distro like DSL.

Waterhead might have some better advice though when he sees your post though.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    have got a little further, tryed "lspci -knn" and found the id for the card but dont know where or what to do with it,lol, sure its doable, just dont know how...

I dont know if it makes a difference but im running dsl straight from disk, its not installed to a HD.

I dont know if the driver i downloaded is compatable or not, I have the original driver disk but know the driver im useing (on xp)is an updated version I got from microsoft.

I dont know if it makes a difference but im running dsl straight from disk
    If I remember correctly you can save changes from the shutdown menu in Damn Small Linux. I ran it installed to hardrive so I didn't use that feature.

I do remember that DSL comes with ndiswrapper in its control center and all you need from the windows driver is the ini file inside the driver.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    thanks rokytnji for your help, I dont seem to be having much luck,your right with the dsl haveing ndiswrapper built in and a few extras as far as I can tell, as I say im new to all this.
    Q. will my card wlan card work if I put the right drivers in even though dsl says there no card detected in wlan config?(also a built in feature) it seems quite good but its my first venture into linux, my bro recons ubuntu is the way to go.

what I hope to do is eventually get aircrack ng working as i'm surrounded by wireless networks, and want to crack the weps, as Im only on a 500k connection.

will keep at it, feel stupid cos I know my way round XP and help friends out with there systems, but just dont know linux.

Waterhead if your reading, please help...

If lspci detects card and chip the it is seen by DSL. The reason wlan doesn't see it is because firmware and driver is not loaded. I am not a expert finding firmware and drivers for wirless and then loading them as modules into the kernel. Waterhead has that skill down pat.

That was why I mentioned AntiX earlier.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by lister View Post
    what I hope to do is eventually get aircrack ng working as i'm surrounded by wireless networks, and want to crack the weps, as Im only on a 500k connection...

...Waterhead if your reading, please help...
    Hacking into a wireless connection, that you don't have permission to use, is illegal in the USA. If it isn't illegal where you live, it is most certainly unethical.

State Hacking/Computer Security Laws
    Is it illegal to connect to an Open wireless network? - Remote Exploit Forums
    Last edited by waterhead; 08-26-2009 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Added Links
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    Hi, yes your right it is unethical to use some one elses wireless connection but as the network im trying to get into is from a big international company I dont think they will mind my little bit of useage.

I just carnt figure out how to get the driver zip file from my flash card into dsl, Ive looked at a few tutorials but carnt get my head round it, still needing help folks.
    Hope someone can help me out.

Thanks, Rich

(latest) From what i can tell dont think this is going to work as the kernal for dsl is 2.4.31 and ralink drivers need 2.6.. kernal to run. back to the drawing board I think, thanks anyway folks..