Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I recommend installing the Wicd connection manager instead of whatever Debian is using (NetworkManager?). If it is available from the Debian repositories, that would be the best way to install ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

I recommend installing the Wicd connection manager instead of whatever Debian is using (NetworkManager?). If it is available from the Debian repositories, that would be the best way to install it. If not, you can download it from here:

wicd - home

Either way, you should remove the current network manager.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    I tried to install wicd with no luck. I followed all of the instructions, but got some error messages indicating that not everything was updated and that wicd could not be found.

I also tried to update by the Add/Remove option, but got an error message indicating that I had to refresh to update the list. I refreshed, but kept getting the same error message. Coincidence?

Perhaps I'll tru to install Xbuntu and work out the USB issues, or go back to Xandros and my friend will have to deal with an interface that he didn't like.

Just Joined!

Wicd

Quote Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
    I recommend installing the Wicd connection manager instead of whatever Debian is using (NetworkManager?). If it is available from the Debian repositories, that would be the best way to install it. .

Either way, you should remove the current network manager.
    I was able to install Wicd after all (helps to spell lenny with two l's), although there are obviously some problems with the update and add/remove programs function. I do like the interface for wicd more than the old one.

But I still get no wireless detected, and I am sitting right next to my wireless router. Is there a way to see if this could be a hardware issue? Or an OS issue. Or the BIOS?

Thanks

Linux Guru
    But your last posting of the iwconfig output SHOWS that you have a wireless device. It even says that you are connected to an Ad-Hoc network called "Maggie's House".

I don't have any explanation, or answer, for your inability to connect using Wicd. Sorry. Did you uninstall NetworkManager?
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    As far as I can tell Network Manager uninstalled, it is not on the menus.

The connection to Maggie's house was when I manually entered configuration data. The connection didn't allow me to do anything, so is it possible that the computer "thought" it was connected but really wasn't.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2