Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
Well, it looks like you finally succeeded. But you took the "scenic route" doing it. As for the autoremove option of apt. This removes unneeded programs, dependencies that are no ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Well, it looks like you finally succeeded. But you took the "scenic route" doing it.

As for the autoremove option of apt. This removes unneeded programs, dependencies that are no longer needed because of updates or uninstalling programs. I have used it whenever it tells me to, and never had the result that you had!

I confess that I didn't read through the list of files that it wanted to remove. Sorry for the problems. But, it is working through these kinds of problems that will turn you into a Linux Guru. Or a mumbling idiot!

I think that I may be the second one.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Code:
    waterhead;729949]Well, it looks like you finally succeeded. But you took the "scenic route" doing it. :)
    Bwahaha! "scenic route" almost made me use the cynic route

Code:
    But, it is working through these kinds of problems that will turn you into a Linux Guru. Or a mumbling idiot!
    If I get to be half as good as you guys in the next 5 years, that would be a major achievement on my part already. Kudos to all Linux Gurus. This mumbling idiot salutes you all for helping, sharing and even teaching people you have not even met.

Jun or nujinini, whatever.....

Quote Originally Posted by nujinini
    If I get to be half as good as you guys in the next 5 years
    I doubt it will take 5 years. I'm only approaching my two year anniversary of switching to linux. Though I'm certainly not a guru. But thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by waterhead
    As for the autoremove option of apt. This removes unneeded programs, dependencies that are no longer needed because of updates or uninstalling programs. I have used it whenever it tells me to, and never had the result that you had!
    I've had this happen to me on more than one occasion and I've seen it happen to other people quite a few times as well. Not just with APT. The equivalent option in Arch Linux has this problem sometimes too. It doesn't really remove unneeded packages, it removes packages that were not installed explicitly and no longer are depended on by any other package.

Basically the problem seems to be that the metapackage that pulls in all the desktop components gets removed, and the autoremove sees all the desktop pacakges as auto-installed and flags them for removal.

Bug#542767: apt: autoremove removes needed packages

Linux Guru
    Next time that I get the autoremove message, I will pay close attention to what it wants to install.

Thanks for the warning.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6