Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am only very new to all of this so please be patient! I have an Asus EeePC 701SDX. I have been told it is running a Linux OS. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Wireless Options for Asus EeePC

Hi,

I am only very new to all of this so please be patient!

I have an Asus EeePC 701SDX. I have been told it is running a Linux OS.

I mainly got it because I need to be able to use it for Internet work whilst away from home. However I have now been to five different stores and each of them tell me that they have no Wireless Broadband options for me as they are only compatible with a Windows XP/Vista or Mac OS.

So i was wondering if there any Wireless pre-paid providers out there who are compatible with Linux, and failing that, how do I get Windows XP on the EeePC without a CD drive to use a disc with, can it be done online?

Any help would be very much appreciated
    Thanks
    MB

Linux Guru
    I run Windstream at home and linux and Windows (wifes acers) connects out of the box on my Asus running Xandros or AntiX. I also connect to any free wifi spots also.

I don't run a cell phone carrier/plan though if that is what you are trying to do.

Linux Guru

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Your Eee PC may not be capable of running Windows, as it needs a better computer to run. Linux can run on a computer with lower sytem specs.

If you want to use wireless broadband, like the G3 network, then it is supported in Linux. The phone providers say it isn't supported, because they are clueless and can't help you. I don't know exactly what version of Linux your Eee Pc is running, but most people install a different version. The versions that come on most Netbooks are CRAP! And they give Linux a bad name!

I suggest installing EasyPeasy, which is Ubuntu specifically for Netbooks. If you have a USB CD drive, you should be able to boot it as a LiveCD, just to try it.

easypeasy - for netbooks
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.