Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Since you are running this kernel: Code: 2.6.30.5-43.fc11.i686.PAE It doesn't appear to have a pre-made module available from RPM Fusion. You could try installing this package, and see if it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Since you are running this kernel:
    Code:
    2.6.30.5-43.fc11.i686.PAE
    It doesn't appear to have a pre-made module available from RPM Fusion. You could try installing this package, and see if it helps:

RepoView: RPM Fusion (Fedora - free - released) 11 (i386)

Otherwise, you may need to install NDISwrapper from source, and compile your own kernel module. I don't know where to get the source from, though.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    Helo.

I try to download and install the link but..

Code:
    Test Transaction Errors:   package kernel-PAE-2.6.30.5-43.fc11.i686 (which is newer than kernel-PAE-2.6.29.4-167.fc11.i686) is already installed

Linux Guru
    At this point I would forget about trying to install Ndiswrapper from a repository. Your kernel seems to be too new for that. You should uninstall the version that you have installed, completely. Then download and compile it from source, available from here:

Download ndiswrapper from SourceForge.net

There is an INSTALL file in the package with instructions.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    Thanks waterhead.

I downloaded the ndiswrapper.rpm from the link. Okay, i read the readme files and from the first part, it says
    Code:
    Make sure there is a link to the kernel source from
    the modules directory. The command

ls /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build

should have at least 'include' directory and '.config' file.
    When i type ls /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build
    this is the output
    Code:
    /lib/modules/2.6.30.5-43.fc11.i686.PAE/build

Linux Guru
    You will be building a kernel module, so there are some developmental programs that you need to install first. Some of these you may already have installed. I don't recal the exact names, but I will do my best. The kernel packages must be the same version as your running kernel.

kernel-devel (kernel source)
    kernel-headers
    gcc (Linux C compiler)
    make

The results of the ls command look OK. After installing the kernel source and headers, you can look for the .config file in the kernel source folder (/usr/src/).
    Since it starts with a dot, it will be hidden. You will have to tell the file browser to show hidden files. This is usually done somewhere in the menu dropdown lists.

You then should be able to cd to the driver folder, and run the commands. It says to run make uninstall first. This must be to remove any existing version old NDISwrapper, if it gives an error it most likely safe to proceed. Run the make uninstall with root privileges (su), and make command as a regular user, then run the make install command with root privileges (su).

If you get errors, post them so that we can work them out.
    Last edited by waterhead; 09-23-2009 at 10:43 AM. Reason: needed to be root for make uninstall

Linux Guru
    i just tried this on my Ubuntu 9.04 install. First it gave me an error to edit my Makefile, which I did. Then it errored out, with this error.
    Code:
    /ndiswrapper-1.9/driver/iw_ndis.c: In function ‘ndis_translate_scan’:
    /ndiswrapper-1.9/driver/iw_ndis.c:999: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘iwe_stream_add_event’ from incompatible pointer type
    /ndiswrapper-1.9/driver/iw_ndis.c:999: warning: passing argument 3 of ‘iwe_stream_add_event’ from incompatible pointer type
    /ndiswrapper-1.9/driver/iw_ndis.c:999: warning: passing argument 4 of ‘iwe_stream_add_event’ makes pointer from integer without a cast
    /ndiswrapper-1.9/driver/iw_ndis.c:999: error: too few arguments to function ‘iwe_stream_add_event’
    I'm not a code monkey, so I have no idea how to correct this error!

I hope you have better results.

Just Joined!
    Hello waterhead.

Thanks for the reply.

Okay, things are getting fast, and I really dont get what you say.

How to install the kernel packages or source and headers? What should i do?

Can you tell me what to do in step-by-step? I'm too young for the linux world and I'm not really expert with these stuffs. I'm sorry for that. Thanks.

Linux Guru
    Install the kernel and other packages using YUM. I already told you to install the YUM Extension. That should make installing thing easier.

Also, the link to the NDISwrapper source was for an older version. Use this link to get the latest.

Download ndiswrapper from SourceForge.net

Yes, version 1.55 is much newer than version 1.9! Go figure! I'm going to try and compile that one myself.

Linux Guru
    OK, that went pretty smoothly on my Ubuntu 2.6.28 kernel. All I did was run these commands from the unpacked source folder:

sudo make uninstall
    make
    sudo make install

If you don't have sudo setup, then gain root privileges with the su command. Don't run the make command as root, because the files will then be owned by root. You will then have trouble removing them when you are done.

There is no guarantee that it will work on a 2.6.30 kernel.

Just Joined!
    Hello waterhead.

Thanks.

I got the .config in the /usr/src. So what do i do now? Should i paste in on the /lib/modules? If yes, how do i paste it? I try to paste it but the GUI dont allow me to paste files on the /lib/modules. Am i supposed to use the "cp" command on the terminal? But I dont know how to use it.

Then after that, I need to install ndiswrapper 1.55, right?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast