Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am a new user in the linux system. I have decided to go with Linux Mint since i was told it was the best for beginners to start ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wireless Internet in Linux Mint

Hi,
    I am a new user in the linux system. I have decided to go with Linux Mint since i was told it was the best for beginners to start with. At home i use two different wireless hubs both by BT as they are my ISP. I am hoping to install Linux mint on a dead PC that had XP previously before made redundant with viruses. i am planning to buy a wireless adapter off ebay, which i hope to use to connect wirelessly to the internet from my new Linux Mint system. I was wondering do i need to be careful about the adapter i buy like i would have to be buying a modem and can i still use my two wireless hubs variably as i wish as long as i install both on the linux mint? and if i do how do i actually go about installing a wireless connction on my linux?

Advice would be most helpful.

Hello and Welcome.
    Start here and post the required info, once you get your system set up correctly. I would try to get a wireless card with any chipset besides a Broadcom modem.
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/wir...tart-here.html
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Linux Guru
    If going with PCMCIA wireless card for your Mint 7 Install. I have bought 3 of These which work well with Mint or any other Linux Distro.

Belkin F5D 7010 wireless G PCMCIA Cardbus. ver 6

with a raylink chipset
    07:00.0 Network controller: RaLink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
    No Need for ndiswrapper. Mint supported it out of the box.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    I would try to get a wireless card with any chipset besides a Broadcom modem.
    WOW! You still have that "Don't use Broadcom because they don't play nice with Linux!" attitude!

Actually, the open-source Broadcom b43 driver is one of the better Linux wireless drivers. It supports all kinds of options, most of which we don't ever use. And the proprietary wl driver covers most of the cards that the b43 doesn't.

I wouldn't be afraid of any Broadcom wireless. It does require the installation of firmware first, before it will work.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Quote Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
    WOW! You still have that "Don't use Broadcom because they don't play nice with Linux!" attitude!

Actually, the open-source Broadcom b43 driver is one of the better Linux wireless drivers. It supports all kinds of options, most of which we don't ever use. And the proprietary wl driver covers most of the cards that the b43 doesn't.

I wouldn't be afraid of any Broadcom wireless. It does require the installation of firmware first, before it will work.
    HEH, color me jaded, I've always thought they were too troublesome to meddle with.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    My experience is different. I had a Broadcom card in my Thinkpad that just wouldn't work no matter what and I installed the b43 'cutter' firmware and all that. I decided that I'd change wireless cards and went with an Intel-based wifi card and haven't had a problem since. It's also good in Windows. I rarely lose a connection and if I do, I attribute it to some problem at the router level or the signal (issue being temporary).