Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
I think wireless really sucks in Linux. Well, primarily when it comes to wireless USB adapters. I have a Belkin wireless G USB adapter and it has the zydas chipset ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I think wireless really sucks in Linux. Well, primarily when it comes to wireless USB adapters. I have a Belkin wireless G USB adapter and it has the zydas chipset so the zd1211rw driver. It's in the kernel and totally compatible as far as Linux-compatible hardware goes. Yet, it CONSTANTLY loses connection. I have a laptop in the same room that has an Intel wireless card build in the laptop that is fine.

It is really annoying being required to re-connect my desktop machine via wireless over and over and over and.... you get the drift. When I use Windows with the same machine, it seems okay. I am not sure what is going on but it's irritating.

I would even purchase a new adapter or something, maybe a PCI network card or something if I could be assured it would maintain the connection. The USB adapter loses connection on a regular basis and if I think of the time I've wasted re-connecting.... Let's just say, I should give up on it despite that it is supposed to be one of the more compatible wireless devices. Any other alternative?

Please don't tell me to plug in a wired ethernet cable. I already know of that option but not everyone can use that setup.

Linux Guru
    If you want help, start your own thread. Don't rant in someone else's thread.

But, briefly. Try using a different connection manager. The default NetworkManager seems to have some problems, so I recommend using Wicd.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    Okay, sorry about that.

Note, though, I did make a distinction between my usb adapter's performance and the laptop's wireless card.

Just Joined!
    The wireless seems to be working flawlessly, no dropping of connection whatso ever. A combination of updating the rt2870sta, and changing the wireless interface to ra0 in the Wicd preferences menu seems do have done the trick. Thanks to everyone for all of their assistance!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3