Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by reed9 There are two drivers for broadcom linux cards, and they do not both support all the same cards. There is the open source b43 driver. This ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
    There are two drivers for broadcom linux cards, and they do not both support all the same cards.

There is the open source b43 driver. This driver, however, depends on non-free firmware which is what you just installed. You can find more info on it here. As you can see from the supported card list, your card is listed as "in progress", so it may not work.

Then there is the non-free broadcom-wl driver, released by Broadcom itself. This driver does support your card, and this is the broadcom-wl module you were previously trying to install.
    Ohhh... Thanks.

I guess I will have to try my original work. By the way, since this other thing seems to be already installed, is there a need to remove it ot roll it back? Or just leave it there. I was thinking it might affect my installation later. Thanks!

Just having the firmware there shouldn't affect anything. If in the output of lsmod you see the b43 driver loading, it will conflict with the wl driver. You would then need to blacklist it.

I checked lsmod, no b43, thanks!

I tried to install the default and here are the results.

Code:
    jun@linux-t8wa:~> broadcom-wl-kmp-default-5.10.91.9_2.6.27.29_0.1-6.pm.9.2.i586.rpm 
    bash: broadcom-wl-kmp-default-5.10.91.9_2.6.27.29_0.1-6.pm.9.2.i586.rpm: command not found
    jun@linux-t8wa:~> su -
    Password: 
    linux-t8wa:~ #  broadcom-wl-kmp-default-5.10.91.9_2.6.27.29_0.1-6.pm.9.2.i586.rpm 
    -bash: broadcom-wl-kmp-default-5.10.91.9_2.6.27.29_0.1-6.pm.9.2.i586.rpm: command not found
    linux-t8wa:~ #

To install rpm packages from the command line, you need to use the rpm command.

Code:
    su -c 'rpm -ivh /path/to/package.rpm'
    (Replace /path/to/package.rpm with the actual path to and name of the package.)

jun@linux-t8wa:~> su -
    Password:
    Also remember, when you use the hyphen after su, you will change from the current directory to the /root directory.

Hello reed9

A funny thing happened. I removed my laptop from the internet cable and brought in my room. When I restarted, I notice that the kernel has changed to

Code:
    linux-t8wa:~ # uname -r
    2.6.27.29-0.1-default
    from my first

Code:
    linux-t8wa:~ # uname -r
    2.6.27.7-9-default
    I was also updating using the cable while trying to make the wireless work.

So noticing the change, I decided to go into SUSE for a while just to edit the grub because I have a way of arranging my OS list. And lo and behold, when I went into SUSE, my wireless started to work! I AM NOW USING IT! Unbelievable! This is the first time I did it in two pages in this forum. And also, I am very happy to be successful now. I hade really frustrating times when I tried this a few months ago. Now I can also enjoy SUSE.

Thank you for just being there with your encouragements and bits and pieces of wisdom!

CHEERS!!!

Glad it's working! Sounds like you did install it successfully, and had a kernel update come through, and you just needed a restart to get it all going.

I made a fresh reinstall just now and was able to make the wireless work. Here is what I did.

1) Online update by Yast
    2) Patch Download and Installation
    3) Restart for the new kernel
    4) Executed the below

Code:
    jun@linux-guqc:~> '/home/jun/Desktop/broadcom-wl-kmp-default-5.10.91.9_2.6.27.29_0.1-6.pm.9.2.i586.rpm'
    5) Restarted
    6) Wireless working

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2