Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, I was wondering if someone could show me where to get information on how to set up a wifi connection without NetworkManager. It's probably a pain in the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wifi without networkmanager?

Hello all, I was wondering if someone could show me where to get information on how to set up a wifi connection without NetworkManager. It's probably a pain in the *** but shortly ago I demolished NM and it took a while to get it back up and running, and I wouldn't have been able to if I hadn't had access to another machine with internet, and I don't wanna get caught with my pants down again. Thank you.

-Kit

Linux Guru
    What Distro are you running. If you have Synaptic Package manager. Do a search for Wicd which I use as a Network manager to connect with .Install it. It should replace Network manager if you are running Ubuntu (I think, aint sure). It is easyto use and set up. Gui interface.

screenshot.jpg
    Last edited by rokytnji; 10-27-2009 at 11:48 PM.

Just Joined!
    Alright! That looks pretty nifty, I"ll be sure to check it out as a GUI based networking program. I perhaps wasn't clear though, what I was looking for was if anybody could point me toward a tutorial or the like for if there's a way to manually set up this sort of thing without the automagic programs just in case.

-Kit

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Wicd – Wired and Wireless Network manager for Ubuntu|Ubuntu Geek

Best I can do without knowing your Distro

For pretty much any distro the tools you need are
    iwconfig
    ifconfig
    dhclient or dhcpcd
    wpa_supplicant if you're using WPA/WPA2 encryption.

Basic usage for wireless.
    As root
    Code:
    ifconfig wlan0 up
    iwconfig wlan0 essid <network name>
    dhclient wlan0
    If you use WPA encryption this doesn't work and you need to configure the file /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf first. Then add the line
    Code:
    wpa_supplicant -B -Dwext -i wlan0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
    after the iwconfig bit.

Just Joined!
    Alright! Thank you all. I got wicd working and am testing it out, and am going to have to play with doing it manually. It's much appreciated.

-Kit

Just FYI, starting with WICD 1.6, they included a curses interface as well, so you don't need a GUI to use it. You never mentioned your distro, but that should be available in Ubuntu 9.10, and I assume the other new releases of various distros coming out soon. You can start it with
    Code:
    wicd-curses