Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi. I am trying to install Ubuntu on an Acer Extensa 7630EZ with the wireless card mentioned in the title. (At least that's what Windows tells me I have...) But ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Atheros AR5B91 / ath9k refusing to work

Hi.

I am trying to install Ubuntu on an Acer Extensa 7630EZ with the wireless card mentioned in the title. (At least that's what Windows tells me I have...)

But no matter what I do, I cannot seem to get it sorted.

I am running a clean install of the 9.10 daily at the moment.

I ran the recommended script from the Wireless section and have attached that.

-KJ
    Attached Files Attached Files

The chipset of your card is atheros ar928x. Googling, you are not alone in having troubles with this card.

I found this:
    Digital Dialects: Atheros AR928x and Ubuntu

Not sure if it will be applicable to your laptop.

Just Joined!
    You should google for compat-wireless. Try the stable releases.

Just Joined!
    Hi there and thank you very much for your replies.

I have tried the compat-wireless, and the stable relases does not compile. I have successfully compiled and installed the daily build, though. Only problem is that it does not do me any good. No wireless interface to be found.

I tried the DD blog, and it did not do any good for me. No difference.

-KJ

Just Joined!
    You should try to use the linux-wireless mailing list instead of this forum. This sucks.

Thanks for your incredibly unhelpful post mcgrof. If you don't have anything useful to add, please don't comment.

Unfortunately, there is no easy answer for this problem. Wireless-N support is fairly new and there are problems with the ath9k driver. If you google this chipset and ubuntu, you'll find that using the current compat-wireless does not solve the problem, as the OP found out.

I have seen people say that using the latest compat-wireless in Ubuntu 9.04 does work for some people, so you can try downgrading to that for now. Or you can otherwise try a different distro and see if it works better.

Just Joined!
    Yes there is an answer -- the answer is to upgrade your driver. If you have issues compiling the stable compat-wireless please report that on the mailing list.

By all means try to install the latest stable compat-wireless, but what I'm saying is that there are many people posting this problem with Karmic, and they report that the latest stable compat-wireless does not fix the problem.

Just Joined!
    You should read the reporting bugs guidelines on the wireless kernel dot org wiki. Its under the Documentation section. Without issues being reported they cannot be fixed. What I am trying to tell you is this is the wrong forum to report issues so that they actually get fixed. I only read your post by chance.