Find the answer to your Linux question:
ok ive tried ubuntu forums and linuxquestions.org and no one can help me there, i hope someone can help me here. This is my problem i installed ubuntu RC 9.10 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ndiswrapper help please!

ok ive tried ubuntu forums and linuxquestions.org and no one can help me there, i hope someone can help me here. This is my problem i installed ubuntu RC 9.10 on my computer, i dont have access to a ethernet cable so i went out and bought a Belkin wireless usb adapter. Come to find out there are no linux drivers for it so i installed ndiswrapper, also i installed ndisgtk, which made installing the drivers really easy for some reason i still cant get it to detect any wireless networks. I installed the drivers off the disk that came with the adapter. I go to my terminal and type, ndiswrapper -l and get this readout
    Code:
    net8192su:driver installed
    device (050d:815F) present
    after that i tried loading the drivers with
    Code:
    sudo depmod -a
    that seemed to work because it went right to the next line, this is where i get confused, i type
    sudo modprobe ndiswrapper, and get this
    Code:
    WARNING: All config files need .conf:/etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper, it will be ignored in a future release
    FATAL: Module ndiswrapper not found
    so obviously something isnt right, im fairly new to linux so i really dont know what to do at this point

Hello. You mentioned you have no internet connection, so I assume you found a package for ndiswrapper somewhere? What package did you use?

Just Joined!
    i used the ubuntu cd to install the ndisgtk and ndiswrapper, i believe like i said im new to linux. knowing me i might not even have it installed like an idiot.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Why do you think there is not a driver for your card? Can you post your system specs and let us see what is actually installed.
    Follow this thread and repost your output here. it just makes things easier when we can get as much info as possible.
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/wir...tart-here.html
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    i know there isnt a driver because ive been to different forums, and gave them my chipset using lsusb and everyone said there are no linux drivers for my adapter, i actually tried to install gentoo before i got ubuntu installed, and they said the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by sk8trf69 View Post
    i know there isnt a driver because ive been to different forums, and gave them my chipset using lsusb and everyone said there are no linux drivers for my adapter, i actually tried to install gentoo before i got ubuntu installed, and they said the same thing
    Well, we can't really help you, if you don't help us.....we really need to know the info requested in the start here link, personally I've not heard of a single chip that just "Won't work" with Linux. Maybe someone here has already solved this problem but they can't help you without that info.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

net8192su
    050d:815F

He did give us the card, and he's right. It's a pretty new card and I can't find anything on it working with a linux driver.

Have you updated the installation at all since you installed? If so, the package on the CD might not match your kernel version anymore.

Just Joined!
    if your talking about the installation of ubuntu no i didnt update it at all its the latest version 9.10 release canidate, the actual release comes out on thursday, thats another ball game though i dont even know if i can update it without an internet connection.