Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: wicd

Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

wicd

I am not certain if this is the correct forum to post but for some reason a message keeps popping up on my Ubuntu about installing wicd - and entering a password -
    any password that I can think of seems to be wrong - and now it wishes to report the problem. What is it and what do I do please.

Wait, you don't have wicd installed, and you're getting a message asking you to install it? That's very weird. When exactly does this happen?

The password would usually be your user password.

I tried tried my user password (the same one as I used to edit torrent) but now I am beginning to wonder if it was the correct one...it happened when I clicked the wireless logo trying to connect...

tried the wireless logo just now - message says - wicd daemon unreachable
    Just remembered - have downloaded latest ubuntu..

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Try
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/wicd stop
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure wicd
    sudo /etc/init.d/wicd start

Seems I might have had a memory loss - every password I can think of is the wrong one - is there a way to find it......

From what I can find, the problem may be that the wicd daemon is not starting properly at boot, the wicd-client sees the daemon isn't running and tries to start it as root, but there is no root password in Ubuntu.

Though starting the daemon from the command line as I posted I would think would have worked if that's the case. Did you try that?

You can try setting a password for the root account, and see if that password then works.
    Code:
    sudo passwd root
    it will prompt you for a password. Note that when entering the password, you won't see any output on the screen.

Still getting "Sorry, try again"

Is there an easy way to check my memory loss of the password. Can I type something in terminal to check my password...because I am almost sure it was xxxxxx and now it seems not....

Type
    Code:
    sudo su
    it will prompt for your password and log you in as root.

You may need to reset your password before you can go any further. This is done by first booting into single user mode. There is a "How-To" on this.

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...-password.html

Follow the instructions for booting GRUB into single user mode. Since Ubuntu doesn't have a root account, you will then follow the instructions for changing the user password.

Edit: Here's a How-To tailored to Ubuntu, so it is a better one to follow.

Reset Your Forgotten Ubuntu Password in 2 Minutes or Less :: the How-To Geek
    Last edited by waterhead; 10-30-2009 at 11:32 PM.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Thank you Waterhead - password problem solved.............

sudo /etc/init.d/wicd stop
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure wicd
    sudo /etc/init.d/wicd start

Tried the above Reed9 and terminal finished with starting network connection manager - but do not seem to have any internet connection at all now - wired or wireless.......no top right screen internet logo either........