Find the answer to your Linux question:
G,day I was wondering if anyone could please explain to me why Ubuntu 9.04 can connect to the internet (It is some how connecting to my wireless USB adapter) when ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wireless adapter working through sun virual box(Why???)

G,day I was wondering if anyone could please explain to me why Ubuntu 9.04 can connect to the internet (It is some how connecting to my wireless USB adapter) when working on Vbox as a guest on a windows XP host? While having trouble connecting to the internet from Ubuntu installed on a logical partition(The usual driver problem).

Thought maybe if someone could explain, or just lead me in the right direction, I could get the adapter working on Ubuntu installed on the partition.

Thanks

Linux Guru
    The Windows host is acting as a router. The guest VM probably just has a simple, wired network card presented as the HW from VB.

Virtual Box User Manual

6.1 Virtual networking hardware
    For each card, you can individually select what kind of hardware will be presented to
    the virtual machine. VirtualBox can virtualize the following five types of networking
    hardware:
    AMD PCNet PCI II;
    AMD PCNet FAST III (the default);
    Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop;
    Intel PRO/1000 T Server.
    Intel PRO/1000 MT Server.
    The PCNet FAST III is the default because it is supported by nearly all operating
    systems out of the box, as well as the GNU GRUB boot manager. As an exception,
    the Intel PRO/1000 family adapters are chosen for some guest operating system types
    that no longer ship with drivers for the PCNet card, such asWindows Vista; see chapter
    4.2.5, Windows Vista networking, page 64 for details.1
    Last edited by HROAdmin26; 11-06-2009 at 03:28 PM.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your help, would of liked it if you went more technical(how VB does the virtualization of the card) but none the less was a help, probably should of read the manual my self.

Thanks for the effort

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close