Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, I just got Seamonkey going on my Dell Latitude, but I haven't been able to get it to recognize my modum (Wifi card). I've tried tried everything on the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

[SOLVED] Seamonkey not recognizing WiFi card questions

Hi, I just got Seamonkey going on my Dell Latitude, but I haven't been able to get it to recognize my modum (Wifi card). I've tried tried everything on the connect wizard except for loading all the drivers in the "Specify" section. I thought there might be thousands. I'm using a Belkin N card and have the driver for it, but I'm not sure it will work with Linux, and I don't know how to get Linux to find it anyway. I'm booting off the CD, but have created a partition for the Linux files. I looked at Waterheads post, at the top of the Wifi posts, about how to find out the cards specifications, but I wasn't sure what he meant about typing the text into a "terminal". Would that be in Linux or Windows, and what program? As you may have noticed, I'm quite a novice at Linux. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you much.

jim

In Puppy Linux Jim go to either System---Hardinfo
    or System ---- PupScan, to get the info for the wireless chip used by your wireless card. LSPCI does not give all relevant info in rxvt terminal in Puppy. Hope that helps ya.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Linux Newbie
    Hi Barry, I'm not sure where you mean. I don't see a "System" icon on the Puppy desktop. Could you illuminate on that a little?

Also, Thanks for the info on the Seamonkey browser on the other posting site.

jim

Start button on lower left task bar with a puppy icon brings uip the menu. System is on the menu.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Linux Newbie
    OK. I found it. Thanks for putting up with my newbyness. My Belkin Wifi card goes in the PCI slot, so in Hardinfo under PCI devices, I get 11 of them. In Pup Scan, under PCI interfaces, I get sevaral. The most promising, I guess, was a couple that were listed as "Yenta sockets" That was Texas Instuments 11225. Maybe that's the network adapter? Where do I go from here boss? Judging by your icon, you've got a bike. What kind? Thanks.

jim

It will show up as a network controller and will say something like raylink, broadcom, or atheros in the line. I build and ride Harleys.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Linux Newbie
    wasn't sure what he meant about typing the text into a "terminal". Would that be in Linux or Windows, and what program " hi Jim, terminal is another way of saying " command line" it's a nice part to using linux, it's a little text only box, that you type commands into, I for got where it is in puppy, on my linux distro, you just click menu and terminal is listed there. good luck getting the wireless working, im sure you will with a little fittling.

Linux Newbie
    Hi Barry, In Pup Scan I get one that says Raylink - Device unknown. What do you think?

Linux Newbie
    Hi bigvoo, Thanks for the info on terminal. I actually saw it after asking about it. I think it's down next to the menu button in Puppy.
    jim

Ok, on your Desktop is a connect Icon. Click it and select the connect with LAN Button.

Ypur raylink should show up as wlano on choices. Select the raylink by clicking the raylink line in column. Then hit the wlano button. Then on next screen hit dhcp button. Then save if it says succesful. Then hit test wlano button to see if it says it found your network. If not you will have to do it via static IP and if you have wep you will need to enter key. Hope that explains it for you. Puppy Dingo has the RT61 module in the kernel for raylink chipsets. My puppy Dingo runs wireless with a Raylink card in it. So you should be able to connect without installing any modukles. i am not a guru with wep as i don't run it here in the boonies where i live. So I won't be much help with that. maybe somebody else can walk you through.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast