Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I will wait though if you got anything to add though....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

I will wait though if you got anything to add though.

Linux Guru
    If you just want to make the wireless work, blacklist the Linux driver and use NDISwrapper. If you want to try and get the Linux driver working, then I don't have any suggestions. That would be for the driver developers to figure out. Sometimes there is a debug version that will give a more verbose message output. I don't know if you can compile this driver to make it that way, but it may be something to look into.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Linux Guru
    Now I am running AntiX 8.5 Beta 3. Found a convoluted fix Waterhead for the wireless rt61 and wicd. I marked the thread as unsolved so you would notice is all. I will be leaving town in the morning and if you wish to remark it as solved, go ahead. Below is what I did

Ok, First thing. Thanks to Ice-M and dolphin oracle holding my big hands through the process. I think we came up with a sort of patch for wicd and wireless for rt63.What I had to do. (in my simple way)

Code:
    sux pcmanfm
    password, then enter.
    Forage my way to /etc/init.d/rc.local
    Open rc.local by rightclick and select open with leafpad
    Scroll all the way to bottom of document and at the very bottom hit enter twice to put some space between me and the script in that file.
    At the place about 2 lines below everything including brackets I insert
    Code:
    iwconfig wlan0 power off
    I exit and choose to save changes to file. Close everything down. Terminal, PCManFM, before I reboot.

I reboot with wired cable connection disconnected. Open Wicd. It is scanning but my router doesn't show so I hit Cancel. Then Refresh. Now it shows my router. Hit Connect. It connects. Kinda convoluted I know but it beats entering iwconfig wlan0 power off as root user in terminal everytime you wanna connect using wicd. Merry Xmas.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    I don't understand how setting the wireless as "power off" makes it work. And what is PCmanFM?

This really isn't solved, but you can lock it again if you want to.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Linux Guru
    I don't understand how setting the wireless as "power off" makes it work. And what is PCmanFM?
    I didn't understand either Waterhead. The funny thing is I left for AZ for Xmas visit and left the laptop at home. Worked fine when I left. Later when I booted it up when I returned. Wicd went on the fritz again. Uninstalling and reinstalling wicd 1.6 from synaptic just made the problem worse with wicd not being able to configure with errors during reinstall. Then opening wicd gave dubus error tied in with /etc/udev and I finally said to hell with wicd 1.6. I went to sourceforge and downloaded wicd 1.5.8 deb and after completely removing wicd 1.6 in synaptic I installed wicd 1.5.8 using dpkg -i in terminal and then locked up wicd 1.5.8 in synaptic. So it won't upgrade later. I have good connection with wicd 1.5.8 and it sticks on reboot. I even deleted the one liner
    iwconfig wlan0 power off
    in /etc/init.d/rc.local.

I think wicd 1.6 was the root cause of many of my problems with rt61 and my Belkin F5d7010 PCMCIA card. Figured this out all today on my own as I was getting tired of trying to use wicd 1.6 which is the default package in synaptic for Antix 8.5 which uses Debian Squeeze repos besides Mepis 8.5 repos. So far using wicd 1.5.8 seems to be the answer, for me at least. I haven't had to mess with firmware or drivers at all.

PCMaN is just the terminal command for pac man file manager. AntiX uses ROX and Pac Man as its file managers. I am gonna lock this thread out now. Happy New Years and sorry to hear about that Keyboard ribbon on that Zotac. I would be PO too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2